Sign in to follow this  
mariovr6

compression tested??

hello

just done a compression test on my vr6 due to the black plus number six

i didnt manage to do cyl 3 or 5 coz the crap tool broke so i had to leave the plugs in them hope it didnt give a dodgy reading?

anyway whats this mean it seems high to me?

CYL 6 = 183 OR 12.9 BAR

CYL 4= 190 OR 13.0 BAR

CYL2 = 187 OR 12.9 BAR

CYL 1 = 173 OR 12.1 BAR

CYL 3 AND 5 DID NOT DO THEM!!!

so what does this reading tell me?? is it too high ? did i do it wrong coz i left plug 2and 5 on?

How can it be too HIGH??? They look fine to me!

The only reason you should remove all 6 plugs is to relieve the load on the starter while you're turning the engine over.

i donno it says on the compression packet that too high can mean something with the valve clearance or something like that?

so its a ok reading then and doesnt seem to bad to you?

IIRC they came out of the factory with 190ish, so it looks like you've got a pretty healthy VR there. 1 and 6 are a little lower, so it could indicate slight bore wear, but I wouldn't panic too much just yet. You get any smoke?

It seems consistent with other people's tests that we've seen the results for on the forum, certainly.

But the main issue is it's internally consistent - if there was a particular problem you'd likely see one cylinder much higher/lower than the others - 170 compared to 190 isn't a night and day comparison, IMHO.

nah there isnt any smoke at all, no oil burn, just a black plug thats about it really o yeah the hummm from the rear and steering go abit stiff at times when slowing down

nah there isnt any smoke at all, no oil burn, just a black plug thats about it really o yeah the hummm from the rear and steering go abit stiff at times when slowing down

If the plug is a bit black then it could mean the start of bore wear, but make sure you change the oil regularly and don't thrash it from cold and it should be fine for a good while yet.

The hum from the rear is almost certainly the fuel pump. As a start, replace the filter first, they're only a few £ from GSF for a pukka Bosch one. It will almost certainly never have been replaced, so it should prolong the life of your fuel pump. Once the pump starts making a noise, it tends to not last a huge amount longer though :(

The stiff steering sounds like it's probably something to do with your power steering, but I have no idea how that lot works, so I can't comment on what it could be causing it.

o yeah the hummm from the rear and steering go abit stiff at times when slowing down

hummm from the rear could also be a rear wheel bearing - does the noise change slightly depending on road speed ??

Check your power steering belt for wear & check the steering fluid level.

got a new fuel filter and a vw oil filter so well chage on the weekend!!!!!

the hmmmm has gone for now n now the car has started to cut out again!!!! also noticed a knocking noise comeing from the engine and that nasty smell is back!!!