Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

which new exhaust mounts?

Just got my new milltek system in today, been told I should get some exhaust hangers that don't flex as much, stronger rubber "fire cracker shape" not 100% what that means. But any ideas which are the best ones and where I can get them from would be great!

Cheers

Neil

Yep, my genuine VW ones never lasted more than six months on my original back box. Bought a Powerflex one and three years + on it's still fine. Recommended, shame about the yellow colour though.

get the ones with the chains in them, you will never have to worry about breaking with those ones.

Yep, heavy duty ones are available from C&R enterprises but I have heard these are OEM Ford parts!

i melted all my powerflex exhaust mounts on one trackday!!! on my mk1 golf,, beware if you have a stainless pipe,,, the amount of heat they transfer through the system just turns the mounts into a yellow sticky mess!!

its a supersprint with a 4 branch manifold, exhaust did not fall off as they have two small o ring like bands bonded inside them, but thats all that was holding it on,, rally design were selling polyurethane exhaust mounts for a while made by another manufacturer, they soon withdrew them from there listings due to the same reason,,,

There is no need to use polyurethane mounts, chain re-enforced mounts or indeed any other variety of "uprated" mount when fitting a Milltek system. The reason being that weight is not an issue, the Milltek system is substantially lighter than the VW OE system. Standard VW rubber hangers are more than capable of supporting the system in a vertical plane, it is lateral bracing which is more important, and OE items offer this and are far more heat tollerant than polyurethane. Heat is a critical issue to be considered as in common with all stainless steel systems the Milltek system in use becomes extremely hot. Neil, give me a call as i suggested and i will happily supply you with the mounts required. As you live not far from me you could collect some tonight?

Well I will take your word for it as you have already saved me money! I think your company is going to be my Corrado's best friend from now, Milltek exhaust for £280!!! over £60 cheaper than Awesome. I'll put the powerflex ones on ebay soon, along with the BBS RS's....