Sign in to follow this  
corradostorm

Standard VW Car Jack

Yesterday, after returning from E38 on Sunday with my new set of winter wheels (Standard VR6 Golf jobbies), I attempted to change them over.

I've just found out that the Standard VW car jack does not raise the front enough for the Solitudes to clear the tarmac! Even more difficult was fitting the new wheels.

After struggling with the front left side I gave up, replaced the Solitude and threw the Jack in the boot.

Anyone else had this problem? Is a trolley jack the only answer?

dunno, never used the standard jack 'cos they're pants... I always use a trolley jack to lift my car.... 8)

My standard jack gets the front wheel off the ground no probs. Used to with the standard suspension aswell. Sure you've got a proper Corrado Bilstein one and not a MK2 Golf one?

I hate jacking the front up anyway, with any sort of jack. The suspension travel of the coils and wishbones is immense compared to the back's limited travel and therefore the back wheel is clean off the ground when jacked up at the front...... I hate seeing that as it's twisting the bodyshell :x

My jack won't lift the front wheels clear, either. Perhaps a few of us have damaged sills...?

I have a trolley jack, but I don't like having to carry it around - it weighs 30kgs and bounces round the boot on corners... :(

Hmmm....strange.

I think the original jacks were designed to lift the car without the post-94 Monster truck suspension, so perhaps they didn't update the jack to suit?

Mine only just gets the wheel off the ground with about an inch of thread left.....

It also depends on what angle you put the foot on the floor too....

K

Yeah, I've tried all kinds of angles and placings, but it just won't quite clear the front wheels (particularly with good tread on 'em).

A mate's Audi A3 jack is almost identical and does the job perfectly, but then, it's a bit taller...

Argos do one for even less:

£17.99

Can a mod fix this URL business - just make the price a hyperlink?! Ta muchly.. :)

You mean like this dr_mat -- jimsG60

The link works alright?

I too have a hefty 3 tonne trolley jack but it weighs a tonne and I hate using it. Mind you it will lift the front wheel a good foot off the ground tho :D

Not sure about the OE jack... mine does the job so I'm not sure what's going on there. Bit silly really if you get a flat on the front wheel and you can't even get the wheel high enough!

Mind you, if you've got a TT roadster, the road wheel has to go on the passenger seat as it won't fit in the boot :roll:

I hate jacking the front up anyway, with any sort of jack. The suspension travel of the coils and wishbones is immense compared to the back's limited travel and therefore the back wheel is clean off the ground when jacked up at the front...... I hate seeing that as it's twisting the bodyshell :x

Why cant you just use the front subframe or isn't it strong enough?

If I got a flat on the front wheel it'd be easy to get the flat OFF, but it'd be completely impossible to get the non-flat spare wheel ON! So I'd be waiting for the nice man from the RAC! :(

Or - and much cheaper - "an electric pump in your rear armrest" to flatten the spare, OR a jack from an Audi A3 ... (probably available a-plenty from the local breakers yard)

My VW jack has no problems lifting my car up with 17s on. Must admit it does get very high and as said rear wheel comes off the ground before the front does.

A golf jack wont lift it high enough though.

just put a piece of wood under the jack :idea:

I was just going to say the exact same thing. :)

Fine if you have one to hand. If you're at the side of the M40 at 2am I doubt it'll be that easy!

I tried using a housebrick once, but it collapsed under the weight!!!

just keep a piece in the boot or get a puncture near a timber yard :lol: i dont think itneeds to be as big as a brick tho :shock: