Sign in to follow this  
Ady_G

Radiator fans draining battery

The car got a bit hot whilst caught in traffic, the fans kept the water at a safe level in the traffic jam though. But when I parked the car up the fans must have stayed on for about an hour!

As a result the battery went down to 9 volts and wont start, so it's being charged up. Last time this happened the battery went down to 2 volts and took about 24 hours the charge it up. It's only happened twice, only when the car gets stuck in traffic just before my house.

I was thinking it was a fault in the fan switch, I've had problems with other cars and fans not coming on, so I've replaced the thermostat switch in the radiator which solved the problem.

Anyone had any similar problems with those big twin VR6 fans?

Cheers

Ady

P.S On the bright side the flat battery means I don't have to take my girlfriend to Ikea tonight :)

The fans shouldn't stay of for an hour!!! Replace the radiator thermal switch.

Mine stay on for 5 mins tops when the engine gets really hot.

There's a timer circuit in the run-on control relay under the bonnet. If your fans were running for an hour, the timer circuit is clearly fubar. It shouldn't run for more than 15 minutes. Not only that, but the thermal switch is probably toast too - surely the water can't remain hot enough to require fans for that long!

There's a timer circuit in the run-on control relay under the bonnet.

Cheers lads, I was planning on replacing the radiator thermal switch, I presume it's just a bolt thats located in the radiator with an electrical connector on the back.

I didn't know about a timer circuit relay thing though, I will replace that one as well. It must be playing up a bit cos it normally turns off after 5 to 10 mins, just these 2 times it's not turned the fans off.

I assume it's in the electrics as highlighted in the attached image?

Cheers for the help

Ady

the afterrun circuit is controlled by both the fan control module (what you have circled) and the yellow temperature sender in the thermostat housing.

Robert

Cheers mate, I got a thermostat switch for the rad today, not got a big enough spanner to fit it though cos it looks like about 28mm diameter. But when I fit that I will see if the fans still play up, if so I will change the after run circuit relay.

Cheers

Ady

I got a thermostat switch for the rad today, not got a big enough spanner to fit it though cos it looks like about 28mm diameter

You need a 30mm (on mine anyways) spanner (normally used for plumbing), take the battery out to gain access...

If you replace the yellow 4 pin sender don't get one from GSF there Crap i put one one and the water temp was reading 110 instead off around 90-95.Get one from the mainsteelers :wink: