Sign in to follow this  
Dubbabe80

Anyone ever sold a car overseas?

I've had an offer for my car from a businessman in the states. I've never dealt with an overseas buyer before and was wondering if anyone out there has who could let me know what happens??

The bloke is sending me a cheque for the price of the car and the cost of shipping, I've got to then send the amount for shipping to Western Union Money Transfer who then will forward the money to the shipper.

I'm getting an extra £200 out of basically for sending the money on.

Anyone think there's problems with this, or a normal process for buying/selling overseas.

I hope some one can shed a bit of light for me??

Cheers

AVOID!!!!! Is this not similar to the South African scam where you give them your bank details and all your money disappears?

Don't do it!!!!!!

It does sound like the African loose all your money scam thing.

Didn't they get Corrado's in the States and Canada, so if he wanted one why not buy a local car ....

You will find that the cheque they send is either stolen or a forgery. Even if it's a banker's draft, it is NOT guaranteed funds.

Don't do it.

Right, I know you're all saying don't do it BUT...

I'm not giving anyone my bank details and I'm waiting til the cheque clears til the car goes, so if the cheque bounces/is stolen etc then I just dont let them take the car?

ask yourself this - why is a usa guy paying top dollar (i take it he is paying asking price) for a car he can buy in the states? Plus hideous shipping.

if its too good to be true it usually is!

You will have to wait for a month or more to be sure the cheque doesn't bounce. Particularly if it's from an overseas bank. Do you see yourself being able to hold onto the car for that long?

Look - ask yourself the question - why the hell would the buyer carry out business this way if he knows you know it's EXACTLY the way scam artists do it?

It's not worth the hassle. Tell him you want to do the deal another way. If he's serious he'll accomodate you.

The truth is that the cheque-issueing bank can recall the funds associated with a "bad" cheque at any time, for a long long time after it has supposedly been cleared by your own bank.

I had a similar experience with a Peugeot 205 I was selling. The car had already been sold so I sent an e-mail back saying that I had a modified Morris Minor for sale if he was interested - he replied saying that he would buy this instead!!!!! This is a scam and should be avoided at all costs

Avoid.

Seriously.

The cheque does go through initially, but then the money is withdrawn by the bank at a later date once they disover it was a fraud. You don't appear to believe us but we are well travelled folk and have read about this EXACT same kind of scam before. Avoid it like the plague!

seen this MANY times and not just for cars either.

cmon - would you trust some guy to not only send you a car youve never seen AND the rest of the money from the first cheque?

its a little far fetched and I hate to say it you are a MUG if you go any further with it.

AVOID!!!!! Is this not similar to the South African scam where you give them your bank details and all your money disappears?

Being a fellow South African myself, may I kindly point out that this scam in fact originated from Nigeria, which places it firmly in North African territory.

A different kettle of fish those North Africans.

Not to confused with South Africans where they'll just

point a gun to your head at a traffic light to get your car.

None of this send me cheque bullsh*t :lol:

Its a big international scam, i got a mail from a guy in Holland wanting to buy a car i was advertising for a mate and he was getting a local customer of his to send me money and i was just ti send on what the difference was to him and he would then have the car and my money, i dont think so!

Total scam and you will be out of pocket and carless, if he is that serious why doesnt he add a couple of hundered dollars and fly over with the cash to see the car

Being a fellow South African myself, may I kindly point out that this scam in fact originated from Nigeria, which places it firmly in North African territory.

A different kettle of fish those North Africans.

Not to confused with South Africans where they'll just

point a gun to your head at a traffic light to get your car.

None of this send me cheque bullsh*t :lol:

Sorry Eug, didn't mean to offend. That's the only ones I've heard of. 8)

Please send him a mail saying that the Corrado is sold but you have a Nissan Micra that you will let go £6000, that you were going to sell in 2 weeks time. Dont tell him any other detail. Please can you post the reaction.

Please send him a mail saying that the Corrado is sold but you have a Nissan Micra that you will let go £6000, that you were going to sell in 2 weeks time. Dont tell him any other detail. Please can you post the reaction.

:lol: :wink:

or ledge the cheque in a NEW bank account, clean it out and do a runner :D

thats what i thought you could do..that would teach them :lol:

western union bank is a non traceable money transfer company. i would avoid any transactions through there. if the guy is sending you a physical check for the car, i would wait for the check to clear, and if it does, then you are good. as long as you are ACTUALLY getting the money for the car, i dont see a reason to not sell it. this is just my opinion. i am from the US and i am not trying to stick up for this country. there are a lot of shady things that happen here, but this may be a lagitimate sale for your car. i would just consider it. i would also try and get all of the contact information you can about this person, phone #'s, address' etc. i would try and talk to the person on the phone as well because that is something the scamers will try to avoid as well. if need be i can look into this guy for you. where in the US does this guy live? where does he want to ship the car?

(I would pretty much guarantee the guy doing the "buying" has not set foot in the US for the last ten years. It's just a ruse to make sure you don't have any way to really contact them.)

well, if you cannot get the proper contact information, i would not bother wasting time on it. but if the contact information checks out and the check you get from the guy clears, then go for it. but make sure you can get good contact with the actual buyer and try to speak to them on the phone. and DO NOT go through western union. it is a bad company for money transferes to people you dont know.