Sign in to follow this  
rmn

16v cams

right i know i am opening a can of worms, but..........

I know that kr cams can be used in a 9a cylinder head,

but can the same cams be used in an abf head or is it a different setup?

Also what sort of duration and lift have people used with forced induction 16v's?

thanks

Stick with standard KR cams with forced induction.... or no more than 248 if going with Schrick cams.

ABF is the tall block MK3 lump isn't it? KR cams can be used on that too....

i have a set of 16v cams that were in my abf lump..... it made a world of difference....got rid of the flatness in the top end of the abf, and gave me back my much loved kick at 4500 rpm.......

i dont need these cams anymore........ is there anything you want to ask me? :wink: :lol:

i have a set of 16v cams that were in my abf lump..... it made a world of difference....got rid of the flatness in the top end of the abf, and gave me back my much loved kick at 4500 rpm.......

i dont need these cams anymore........ is there anything you want to ask me? :wink: :lol:

KR cams can go in an ABF, not sure about the ABF but it's only the inlet on the KR that's different to the 9A, and I believe the ABF cams are better than the 9A but not quite as much lift as the KR inlet but perhaps a bit more duration? In general I don't think there's much between the ABF and KR cams although the KR's were designed when emissions levels weren't such a problem.

David.

I do not have any experience with the 9a lump, but initially when the abf was put into the golf, we dropped it in untouched, then once i stripped the kr i changed the cams, to find a large difference in power delivery. The fact that there was a 4 branch on there may have helped too.

Thansk, i want to use the abf head, due to bigger valves

i have a kr head too and i was rekoning that the cams might be simular too

i also might be getting a kr head with kent cams in it, but not sure of their specs, i was told to get some decent overlap to cool the crown of the piston and the valves too since the forced induction will be a hotter running engine