Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

passive rear steering on corrado`s

the old brains been thinking again, dangerous i know but heres my train of thought,,,,

so whats it all about, those rear beam bushes must be really cleverly designed to only move in the plane you want them too when cornering, sureley when you lower a car all this geometry goes out as they are aligned with the beam,,, thinking of junking mine for powerflex rear bushes,, any consequences of this apart from a really tight rear end? :?:

any views gladly appreciated,, any of you have powerflex rears fitted? :?:

The bushes just have a 'designed in' weakness to allow them to flex laterally.

I'd stick with VAG rubber for the bushings personally. A new bush is significantly stiffer than a manky 10 year old one and Shure 80 Powerflex bushes are stiffer still. I don't think losing the Passive rear steering will ruin your fun too much as the Corrado's handling comes mostly from the large anti-roll bars and negative camber. You just might not like the creaking and harshness of poly.....

Aye....Corrado poly ARB and wishbone bushes creak too.... no matter how much silicon grease you put on them :x

That used to do my head in, so have stuck to rubber ever since....

how about putting corrado rear beam bushings on a mk2 golf? would this improve them? only ask cos i have got to do my corrado and my brothers mk2 golf at the same time , got a good deal on 2 full powerflex bush kits, but maybe we should be omitting the rear beam bushes, and maybe upgrade the mk2 golf to corrado rear beam bushes at the same time,,

Never tried that or heard of anyone that has!

Would be an interesting experiment! If you can get a VR6 twin-turbo in the back of a Corrado, then I'm sure Corrado axle bushes on a MK2 must be possible :lol:

Id be interested to know if the corrado rear bushes fint the mk2 Golf and if they offer any improvments (apart from obviousally replacing knackered old bushes)

I've got 2 brand new VAG bushes if you want em...

How much you want for them?

Very interested, just about to start sorting out the suspension on my vr6 and I was going to order these from VAG.

Cheers

Timo.

I've got 2 brand new VAG bushes if you want em...

How much you want for them?

Very interested, just about to start sorting out the suspension on my vr6 and I was going to order these from VAG.

Cheers

Timo.

Iunno £50 + p&p (I'll have to check how much it is). Sound OK to you? PM me if you want.

Edit: worth mentioning they are £32 each from the stealer

Have fitted Corrado rear beam bushes in Golf MK2 many times now, and yes they work extremely well ! With regard to poly bushes, after having played with these in road cars, i much prefer new standard VW items. The OE VW bushes offer superb control and compliance, furthermore they are quiet in operation and allow your teeth to stay where intended ! The only application for an uprated component to be fitted on a Corrado is the rear bush in the front lower arms. Given that alot of owners judge the standard rubber upon it's performance at the ripe old age of 10 plus years, it's no wonder they rush into buying uprated items. The decay of suspension components is so gradual that it goes un-noticed until drawn to the attention. I have totally re-furbed a number of Corrados for their owners and without exception they are astonished by the vast improvement. My recomendation is to stay with the OE kit even if you have uprated the performance of your Corrado.

I lucked out and found a set of the vwms bushings. Had to purchase the special press tool to get them in though otherwise you risk destroying them.

FYI for the front control arm bushings, use the audi TT motorsport "rear" pivot bushings. The pancake ones. solid hard durometer rubber. Center steel sleeve is much beefier than OEM.

R

I found fitting poly bushes with a shed load of copper grease stops them sqeaking. Have had them on a mk2 for years now and they're still quiet. Would still use original stuff though after a mechanic told me not to fit them cos the handling will be sharper but the difference between grip and no grip is reduced. Me did it anyway, and then threw it into a forest on a wet road, grippy one minute, backwards the next. :roll: Might have had something to do with the speed aswell though. :?