Sign in to follow this  
Declan

An Up Hill Struggle

I've owned the car for 3 weeks now and in that time, I've had the thermostat, the Auxillary Coolant Pump go, and have had them replaced and some wiring tidied.

And now the VR6 is purring like a dream! Well, almost. I'm hoping I'm not suffering with paranoia, but on three occasions now, after going up a hill and then stopping, she's started to shudder and jerk as I've pulled away. It only seems to do it in either 1st or 2nd. Any ideas?

She's also stalling occasionaly, I've read the other threads regarding stalling but they only seem to happen when the engine's cold and this is happening when she's warmed up.

I don't know if the two could be related but could both of these things be caused by the clutch?

Cheers for any thoughts on this one,

Dec

Juddering in the lower gears is synonymous with a knackered clutch, but it could also be due to a badly running engine. Does the engine feel hesitant below 2000 rpm with a flat-spot? Could be your lambda probe, you'll need a 3 wire universal one from German & Swedish, they're only about £30.

May also be your coil pack but they generally give problems across the whole rev range.

How many miles has the car done? Could just be at the age where it's starting to need stuff replacing.

The stalling can be due to a worn throttle 'catcher'. Look behind the throttle body and you'll see a diaphragm with a rubber boot on it. As the throttle returns to rest, this little diaphragm 'catches' the throttle linkage and lowers it to rest gently. When these diaphragms wear out, they allow the throttle to drop too quickly and the idle valve is then unable to 'catch' and stabilise the idle.

Failing that, it could just be a knackered idle valve but many people find replacing it doesn't solve the problem. VR6s just die like that for some reason and it's hard to cure. Mine does it regularly so I try and keep my foot on the gas when pulling up to junctions. There must be a cure but I'll be damned if I know what it is!!

Kev

94 VR6

Thanks Kev,

the car has done the equivalent of 85000 miles (it's all in KM), so it shouldn't be too tired, but I do agree that she's just getting to the age now where things will need changing, Do you reckon it's worth taking her in to get all of these things done all at once?

We're moving to Germany for a year in late June and I'm hoping that's she's going to get us there in one piece.

I love the car 'big time' and I just want her to be at a relatively reliable level so I won't be worried on a long jouney.

Thanks again,

Dec