Sign in to follow this  
Rams

is the head gasket going??

Removed from the suspension thread:

VR6 question!!

On the left hand side of my VR there is oil that seems to be leaking from the side of the head. There is no creamy stuff on the inside of the iol cap and the water doesnt look to muddy, it is a bit is uppose. I use a lot of oil but when the car is in the air the iols looks to be all around the sump. I have bought a new sump gasket as some c's have a gaskets but how can I tell if the head gasket is going? Do I just have to do a compression test?Please help, any advice would be really appreciate, I am new to the forum.

I know there is a problem because after I got my car services, new everything... I checked the oil and it was really low. I know sometimes the oil talkes a while to sink down fully but anyway, I toped it up and checked it a week later and it was fairly low. My local mechanic says that he thinks the oil is mixing with the water and going around the system that was as not that much leaks onto the ground. It did do by I have bought a new sump gasket and since then the car has been off the road because I crashed it. If the sump cures the leaking oil onto the ground then I just need to know why its leaking fron the left side of the head, its near a pully from memory. Could I get a way with trying anything. Its definitely not the rocker cover gasket.... Just dont want to have to spend 500 / 700 quit on a re build but the performance still feels like its there.

You'll know when a VR has blown it's head gasket because it'll throw coolant out of the expansion tank, some people have even had expansion tanks split because the pressure was so high!

Smell the coolant, if it stinks of exhaust fumes, your gasket has gone. You'd also get water on your rear screen (on a dry day) as the gasket spits coolant into the combustion chamber/s.

Naturally the engine would consume lots of coolant over a short period too.

Kev

94 VR6

thanxs mate, I do remember my expansion tank getting low quickly, I get my car back on thursday so I will monitor these things and see whats what.

I will start saving a few quid now as I think its probably on its way out. I suppose I could always just change the gasket now or is it not worth it? Can I get away with just doing the head gasket providing it hasnt warped the head, is there anything else I may aswell do whilst Im there?