Sign in to follow this  
matt buz

Coolant temp warning light

Just this last week occasionally my coolant temp warning light comes on when I start up. It only happens every so often and usually goes off when I turn the engine off and back on again. I have decided not to drive it until I get it checked out.

Could this be a problem with the light. The car got serviced in january and the coolant was done then.

Is it a visit to the stealers?

I take it the expansion tank appears to have a plentiful supply of coolant in it and that you are not experiencing any overheating or anything?

There is a level sender switch in the water bottle and if the water is to low it will set the light off. Once the temp gauge dosent go up your okay to drive on till you get it filled up.

Just have a good look round your engine bay for signs of water leaks. Check around the radiator, the hoses and clips and where they join the engine.

Yes - the warning light doesn't indicate over-temperature, just low fluid level. You're supposed to notice the overtemp by looking at the gauge!

exactly the same happened to mine. Light came on & usually went off when you turned the ign off then on again.

Everything else was fine.

Replaced the expansion bottle (with integral sensor) and the light has not come on again since.

I got mine from german & swedish for only a few quid.... but I hear you can get an original one from the stealers for not much more.

Easiest fix I've come across so far!