Sign in to follow this  
Roger Blassberg

Top timing chain tensioner

Just got off the blower from my local supplier, Murray MacDonald in Hatfield, Herts

Chains, tensioners (not Mk4 type, made by Febi Bilstein or similar) about £80, clutch (LUK) £84, all plus the stealth tax. I expect there are a few gaskets, fasteners, plus the ever - popular "consumables" involved as well.

Are these manufacturers' parts of good quality? I would rather not have to do an encore performance in the near future.

These costs pale into insignificance, even when adding in 10 hours labour, compared to the full - house replacement engine.

Best wishes

RB

LUK Clutch is fine, but the OE chains and components are all made by Sachs, and personally speaking I'd rather have the real thing in there keeping those valves from smacking those pistons.

£80 sounds cheap for the chain stuff...... it normally comes to around £250, from the dealer though. As Matt says, I would have more peace of mind with the genuine SACHs stuff than pattern parts.

Yes, me too. But what a difference.

The old Corrado Tax seems to alive and well and living in Milton Keynes and it pains me to be exploited, but when she's howling along there's a contented feeling if the genuine article is in place.

Best wishes

RB

Is it worth just replacing the tensioner bolt to the later type on its own, without changing the actual tensioner?

Its just, I know the tensioners are ok on my car just now, but it might be a worthwhile precaution swapping the bolt.

email from c&r enterprises AAA 2.8 base engine is £2556.85 including, and 2.9 base engine £3620.83 (Corrado)

Best regards

Roy

God knows where £1750 came from...... but £3620 is more like it and bl@@dy expensive!

Vince charges £2400 by comparison for a full rebuild and watching Graham do my cams today, it would be built with a lot more care and attention than VW!

so whos going to be brave and pop into the vw dealers and ask about a new vr6 engine then :) and wether they are 2.8 or 2.9

mine was £2797-38 + vat last october

that was for a brand new 2.9 head and block