Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

Direct to Head throttle conversion

Just been looking at the various conversions on Badger 5, what’s the best one suited for the 16V 1.8?

Has anyone got his conversion? What kind of power increase is there? how does it sound? Any loss of low end torque?

What kind of ££ and is it a big/tricky job fitting it?

Just been looking at the various conversions on Badger 5, what’s the best one suited for the 16V 1.8?

Has anyone got his conversion? What kind of power increase is there? how does it sound? Any loss of low end torque?

What kind of ££ and is it a big/tricky job fitting it?

Hi

We used to drool over these on a weekly basis, and my mate was inches away from doing it. You can get 210bhp+ out of the 2l so i would guess maybe 20 bhp less in the 1.8 (why not put a 2l bottom end on, it would be a cheaper and better mod if ur current bottom end is origional)

IMHO it sounds awsome, the induction noise becomes less deep and more raspy tho. Re low end torque..... this is a top end power mod.... even with really good mapping the low end torque is pretty bad because of the slow air flow. If you were feeling flush you could set up two maps on your management, one using long thin trumpets so you get faster air flow at lower revs, thus increasing low end torque....but i suspect that would still struggle to match your current torque, and the other map for speed. 8)

You have to run stand alone management, and on top of the DTH TB kit plus the mapping you are on silly bucks. Also doing this without already having a 4-branch is pretty foolish....... but you can run silly cams if you want to.

I was speaking to the guy who bought badger bills jetta, its got that kit on the 9a iirc, he was saying motor way driving, at 60-80 returned a rather upsetting 20mpg. Not really a mod for your daily drive!

You have to run stand alone management, and on top of the DTH TB kit plus the mapping you are on silly bucks.

Do a google search for megasquirt - cheap fully functional ecu that is the dogs danglies

@kev, they are bringing out a complete system which will be available by christmas, so it seems a good budget system for those who dont want to spend big buscks, mind you i have a dta ecu sitting under the stairs for my corrado's future engine

as for mappin/rr setup, its gonna be quite expencive especially since baz lives in ireland and there are only 1 or 2 places here that will do that work.

to be honest if i were going to do this, i would go and buy an emerald ecu and run the car on throtle bodies, but i would also go for the 2L bottom end too, and get dave walker to set it up too

as for mappin/rr setup, its gonna be quite expencive especially since baz lives in ireland and there are only 1 or 2 places here that will do that work.

to be honest if i were going to do this, i would go and buy an emerald ecu and run the car on throtle bodies, but i would also go for the 2L bottom end too, and get dave walker to set it up too

ditto

Ive seen 2 2l 16vs,1 k-jet,1 throttle bodies and both the same mods and same power! k-jets good for over 200bhp anyway so better putting money elsewhere. 2l 9a, flowed head etc

we have one of these running on a DTA in a MK2 golf, it is extremley expensive and only the sort of thing you do when there is no other way to get more power from your car, everything else possible was done to the car before fitting these, they are like the icing on the cake (vv expensive icing at that) with the right mapping it makes for a really drivable and incredibly resposive engine, the full kit is getting on for about 3K time you have baought alll the other bits you need to go with it, fuel lines fpr etc, + the mapping,,