Sign in to follow this  
whiteee

Heater...

Series of problems...

When i got car the blower only worked on level four (old style dial and slider panel btw) and then during operation it started to make a loud buzzing noise (worn bearing?) anyway i hav replacement fan and i know it sits underdash in passenger footwell, other than the lower shelf what else needs removing to get to it (how does the casing open?

That should stop the buzzing noise... how do i get it to work on ALL four speeds?

And just to make matters worse... the air doesnt appear to be hot when fan is used!

The termal fuse on the resistor pack of the motor had blown. If you replacement fan has the connector panel with it, the problem is sorted.

Once you've removed the underdash tray, all you need to do is unplug the fan, bend back the locking tab (plastic - points towards front of car) and rotate the fan to remove it - it's a bayonet type fitting.

Cheers... will swap fans tomorrow and see what happens...

if not what part do i ask for at stealers or gsf? part number?

Fan swapped and all four settings work fine but i hav only cold air or when set on hot i jus get ambient temp (whereas same as in car temp - ie. if its warm in car it circulates warm or if its cold jus circulates that...)

Is this a prob with heater matrix?

mine has just started doing the same. only blows on level 4 (vr6) and somnetimes squeals or buzzes. what could this be?? had bottom of dash off looking for a leak. could i have disrupted the fan?? (a wire or connector??)

the squeal means that you've got dead bearings in the fan motor... time for a new fan... :(

The reason that it's only working on 4 is 'cos the dodgy bearings have made the fan draw more current and so it's blown the thermal fuse on the resistor pack... Fortunately that's only a 30p repair... 8)

Change the fan, replace the thermal fuse on the resistor pack and you'll be back to full 4 speed blower goodness again! :D

ne one no how much a new fan is?? and part numbers?? is it a hard fix or can any monkey do it. it all seems to be going wrong recently. water leaks, tyres, fan. where does it end. oh yeah when you tear the arse out of a civic type r when u are 4 up!!!

Eurocarparts sells the fan for £44.50... it's a 15 minute job to swap it over too, but add on about 20 mins to solder in the new thermal fuse... 8)

It's a MKII Golf Heater motor that you need according to the Euro site... ;)

I just got a heater out of a mk2 golf at a scrapie for a tenner, switch the resistor packs over, as the golf one is only three speed and sorted for a tenner. pickin a non noisy one though is a bit of a lottery.

the hot air problem will be due to the control flaps' mechanism having jumped a tooth on the cog... have a search for "bowden AND cog" and you'll find how to sort it out... 8)

cheers - didnt realise it was related to that - it does select all the different areas (ie. screen - feet - face etc) and it does change between cold and ambient temp...

so by sorting the cables i would increase the range of movement over the flaps and therefore control the temp?

yup, exactly... 8)

Mine's the same at the moment... :oops:

It could also be the bypass valves which have been put in inside the engine bay... they get gunked up and don't let as much coolant into the Matrix so it doesn't get as warm as it should... :|

jus to be a pain in the arse... where are the bypass valves... without looking i dont know what hoses enter the bulkhead to the car and from where... do they come from the coolant tank itself or from the engine then back into coolant tank?

Im guessin it mite have something to do with them as i ran the car without any coolant for a few weeks... (having to top up water almost daily cos of leak before new water pump) so crap/rusty crud from rad etc etc mite hav blocked them - can they be cleaned/serviced? or do they need replacing? price? part number... errrrrr thats me about done for now! :oops:

a cheaper alternative to a new fan is spray the fan bearings with WD40 when you swap the themal fuse over. I did and I've had no probs since and it still works on all 4 settings over a year later.

The bypassvalves are fitted in the feed and return pipes thru the bulkhead at the back of the engine. There is a 10mm ish pipe between the 2. New ones from VW are about 35 quid. 20 mins to fit and top up the coolant.

Gavin

I would be grateful for some detail on the bypass valves. I know what you are talking about and where they are etc. but:-

The dealers don't seem to know what I'm talking about. I could overhear them talking to each other as to whether these valves are part of a modification that came in. So my questions are:

a) Are these valves part of a modification?

b) What are the part numbers?

c) Can they be obtained from a cheaper source than VW?

1991 G60 by the way.

Thanks for your help.

Change the fan, replace the thermal fuse on the resistor pack and you'll be back to full 4 speed blower goodness again! :D

where's the resistor pack located?

mine has only ever worked on 4, since i bought it over 2 years ago :oops:

'91 G60?

a) yes, they were fitted as part of a recall

b) dunno, haven't got Etka at work...

c) no, VAG only as far as I know...

Just got a quote from VW for the whole modification kit £25. Whether this is the right thing or not remains to be seen. Will find out at the weekend.

Well i am having trouble with y heater fan in position 1. Since i have had the C it squeels and squicks like mad either hot or cold. I have had a look and a clean of the vent flaps and they are clear, but not as yetchecked the motor. It blows heat very well, sometimes to well as i sweat my potatoes off sometimes!! What is it if its only in position 1?? any ideas

Cheers Guys BORAT 8)