Sign in to follow this  
Leavon

Guess I'm still on the first door handle....

Drivers side handle went last week, (first one in 2 corrados and 6 yrs of ownership so I'm not complaining) so I ordered a new one and tried to fit it on sunday morning only to find the screw that holds the handle was rusted to hell and wouldn't budge. I tried wd40, a hammer and a big monster screw driver but it still wouldn't shift, anyone got any tips on removing rusty screws or am I going to have to get it drilled out?

Cheers,

isn't this the counter threaded one? I seem to remember that one of the handle bolts is a left handed thread... :| Anyone care to confirm? 8)

Oh sh!t, don't tell me that I spent half an hour trying to turn it the wrong way?

I was under the impression that it's always righty tighty, lefty loosey!

yep on the drivers side (i think?) I ended up stripping the thread completely when I took it off, only to realise is was a left hand thread once I'd got it off :roll:

lol done the same thing spent an hour trying to turn it the wrong way then I tried the proper way and hey presto it came outy with ease LOL bloody germans trying to confuse us again what a stupid idea thatwas :roll:

I reckon it was a mistake, probably made the passenger side handle and then mirrored the parts for the drivers side. I can't think of any rational reason for reversing the thread direction.

Anyway I feel suitably silly now, can't believe I didn't try it the other way in the first place :roll:

Anyway I feel suitably silly now, can't believe I didn't try it the other way in the first place :roll:

To be fair, why would you try it the other way?!? I only remembered it 'cos I'd read it here and thought that it was a bloody silly idea... :roll: :lol: 8)

It probably isn't a mistake, they usually do stuff like that if there's a moment of rotation and the bolt might work itself loose if it's left fitted in the standard way. Tho I could be wrong, I've not looked at the situation that closely... :)