Sign in to follow this  
Robbo149

Yipee... cam sensor probs update...

Just wanted to share with you all my latest mechanical achievements (see earlier posts re my diy inexperience).

Spent 5 hours yesterday stripping & rebuilding the top of the engine on my VR in a last attempt to cure my cam sensor probs by replacing the sender wheel. This was a major undertaking for me, so needless to say I'm well chuffed with myself 8) , especially as the new sender wheel seems to have cured the problem :D , car drives so much smoother now (I'll have to get a diag reading to be 100% sure). Mind you, the old sender wheel did fall apart in my hand when I removed the cam sprocket bolt :roll:

Total cost of this mamoth task... £7 :roll: (plus 2 skinned knuckles & 1 snapped allen key!).

Yesterday was a good day :D :D :D

Cheers,

Robbo (mechanical genius... not :wink: )

Yeah, I watched Graham at Stealth change Kevhaywire's cams earlier and he was saying the one with the sensor is a b*&stard, he made it look easy tho but we did find the sender wheel broken, luckily they keep a spare in stock.

Yeah well done mate. Those cam trigger plates seem to crack when you undo the bolt. I had a new one put in today too as mine was cracked and funnily enough it ran superbly smooth on the way home :lol:

Can't tell you what a relief it is to finally have the old girl running smoothly again... all ready to sell now :wink: (maybe)

The cam sprocket bolt was a bit of a tw@t, it's torqued up to 100nm ! especially whilst trying to keep the cam from turning with the adjustable in the other hand! A 24 inch breaker bar did the job nicely, best £10 I've spent on Ebay :) . Mind you, torquing it back up to 100nm when I'd done was the hardest bit ! 5 hous to replace a £7 bit of plastic... ain't VRs wonderful .

Feel like I could tackle anything now... I wish I was doing my head swap & chains again, could have asved myself £400 in labour :roll: ah well, maybe next time!

Cheers,

Robbo

Feel like I could tackle anything now... I wish I was doing my head swap & chains again, could have asved myself £400 in labour ah well, maybe next time!

Ah - I take it thats how it broke in the first place then?

Took you a while to reply to that Rodders... I take it your using your works 'free' internet access in the daytime... :wink:

na got a cpl of days off this week :wink: ......gonna sort out my ladders and sh** :wink:

Ah - I take it thats how it broke in the first place then?

Guess it could well be :roll: There's alot to be said for doing stuff yourself. If only I'd had my new found diy confidence 6 months ago.

Cheers,

Robbo