Sign in to follow this  
Rams

best exhaust system for a VR6???

Is it best to go for a cat replacement pipe or sports cat? Some say that the car was designed with a cat so using a sports cat will help the performance others say just put a straight through pipe and it will help the flow of gases therfore increasing BHP??

I am aware of the laws with the year of car and weather or not its illegal, if it improves performance I want it.

I have a made with a type R Honda Civic and I need to be able to beat him, those cars are quick but I have faith in mine being 2.9 VR6!!

Removing the cat won't make much difference, certainly not enough to throw you back in the seat! Modern engines are designed and tuned with a cat in mind, so are expecting to see some back pressure. Remove the cat and the engine may even run worse (if everything else is standard).

I've seen a car lose 4 bhp over a standard system, just don't believe the hype. Feeding the engine with cold air is the first step and the easiest/cheapest to do. Then you can chip it. stick it on the dyno and look at how the power tails off at the top end, a better exhaust on a modded engine can sometimes help in the upper rev range.

Kev

94 VR6

Hi mate

I was going to buy a new system, I have a mate who makes exhausts to order and can do all sorts of designs etc. It was just the cat I wasnt to sure on? What have you got on your car exhaust wise and do you have the cat?

The c is heavily restrickted under there, I have only heard one c vr6 with an exhaust and it sounds lush,its always the G60 that do the mod, well thats the trend here unless there are more G60's around. Im based in Bournemouth!

Rams, where bouts you live, im from bournemouth too.

Ive just had a full magnex system done by GTR tuning in pool, sounds great, not really much performance increase but just looks so much better :)

I hear nothing but good things about the Magnex systems. Nice sound, nice price, and nice fit.

To top that off, it looks very much like the OE exhaust system, just with a thicker shinier exhaust tip.

Supoib :)

I have heard before that Halfords used to do a full fitted VR6 Magnex system for about £320.. which isn't a bad price imho.

You can't beat the Milltek on the VR6. Substancially better welding and craftsmanship in comparison to Magnex, Scorpion, etc.

John at PDM was telling me earlier about it - Milltek do proper welds with joins, whereas Magnex just roll the edges of the joins then seal - which apparently split and blow after a while. John could probably explain better. I was very impressed with the worksmanship on my system when we depacked it - which will be on by Saturday :)

Milltek have paused production on the VR6 system for at least 2 months. They had to specially do a run for mine! 8)

All depends on how much noise you want your system to make. Was amusing with my car running next to John's and Ant's G60s with their louder exhausts - couldn't even hear my engine running! :oops:

Halfords dont fit there exhausts anymore, have to pay the AA service center to fit it, or take it somewhere else like i did, cost me £30 for fitting and a few bits of welding i needed doing.

VW systems are very good except for the weak welds. Mine still has the original one on it after 77K and 9 years. It must be stainless to have lasted that long?

My favourite after market exhaust brand is SuperSprint. Exceptional workmanship but heavy and expensive!

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6

Mine is/was original and is only just being replaced - so it's managed 185k miles. 8)