Sign in to follow this  
turbocorrado

turbo corrado

:? i have owned my corrado for a bout a year now.. it is a turbo technics 16v conversion, 80k, fvwsh and mint condition. the car is currently at 195 hp .. i was wondering if their was anyone ot there who could tell me a bit about turbo techics corrados.. i already know they are few and far between. just wondering how rare they are and how much they are worth in respect to a normal 16v

cheers

195hp for a 16v turbo seems bit low,what psi you pushing? Is this on a 2l 16v or 1.8

its on a 1.8 16v ... the turbo is a garrett tt25 fitted with a two stage boost control..0.4 or 0.65 bar i am not sure what this equates to in psi.. 195 bhp is better than standard and still above what turbo technics rate the conversion to produce.. what you running

oh ok its a t25 trim on a 1.8 so that sounds about right then,0.4 bar is about 6-7 psi,i havent seen many 16t on a corrado in UK to be honest,what tourqe figures are you getting?

How much it cost you, does that include uprated pistons etc???

What mpg's you get? just out of interest

The boost levels should 7psi low and 10.5psi High. Have you got a boost guage? Might want to get one to keep an eye on the levels.

I wasn't aware Turbo Technics did the conversion on a Corrado but I had a TT 16V MK2 Golf, which was mega fun. Mine developed 210bhp with 205/lb/ft torque, but I did have K star running 4 extra VR6 injectors (3 boost maps) and Water/methanol injection :lol: which you certainly don't get on the TT supplied conversion!

You don't need to uprate the pistons for that level of boost, you just offset bush the small end bearings. The 1800 block is well up to the job of handling up to 11psi. Any more and you'll need forged or Audi S2 pistons, raceware fasteners etc etc to keep it reliable.

Mpgs, I got mid 30s out of mine when driven sedately and about 12mpg when driving hard on high boost. With the K jet injectors and the VR6 ones both fully open, you're pumping a gallon of fuel into the engine every 10 seconds, hence 12mpg!

With this setup, the engine is creamy smooth, nearly as smooth as my VR6...and a lot quicker too.

Top conversion mate, look after it.

Kev

94 VR6

The silver Corrado was up for around £1150 in london last october, it had a turbo technics coversion too, i was going to buy it, but unfortunately (or fortunately depends how you look at it!) it was sold.

Needed abit of work to it, had passat sunroof though!

my corrado is producing170lb/ft i did not actually pay for the conversion i picked the car for a bargain 1800 quid off a guy that did not really know what he was selling and had the car in storage for the past 4 years... mpg are pretty poor steady driving i usually get about 24 but ful throttle can drop as low as 11 or 12... kevhaywire can you tell me more about your tt golf engine mods may be interested in doing similar myself

cheers andy

OK, my Golf had essentially the same setup as yours, i.e. Garrett T25, TT high nickel content manifold (lovely bit of kit), TT intercooler and pipe work and offset bushed pistons to lower the Compression ratio to 8.5:1, but my 16V turbo was supplied and built by Stealth Racing, read on.....

Several years ago, Stealth Racing bought the remaining TT 16V turbo kits and enhanced the setup dramatically. For fuelling, K Star KS301 is utilised and takes a signal from a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. Depending on boost, one of several boost maps is loaded which then control 4 additional VR6 injectors plumbed into a Stealth Racing custom fuel rail.

This enables you to supply exactly the right amount of fuel and ignition advance required across the entire rev range, resulting in a virtually lag free and very smooth engine. It's so smooth and tractable in fact, you'd think it left the factory that way. Compared to some 20V Turbo engines I've driven, it's smoother and punchier even than those engines.

Have a looky here at my old car on Stealth's website:- http://www.stealthracing.co.uk/sr_p16vt.html

I also had a water/methanol injection kit fitted :- http://www.aquamist.co.uk

You know how hot your inlet manifold gets? Well with the water injection, after an hour's hard driving the manifold is stone cold to the touch, it's bloody effective and the reduced charge temperature enables you to pile in more fuel and tonnes of ignition advance :lol:

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6