Sign in to follow this  
brookescourt

REMOVING BOOST RETURN PIPES AND FITTING CONE FILTER IN WING?

The dual air filters will give you better flow, charger will suck same amount of air in both intakes and sqwezze it in the chambers than it will do with one side blocked, do not expect 2 psi gain as it wont happen. Get aprils issue of pvw and you will see. "HINT" :)

I dont expect that...im just not sure im understanding the benefit if boost levels are not increasing? I can understand the benefit is to get MORE DENSE COLD air in the charger, but in turn would this not equate to more boost levels and hence power? Sorry for the confusion.

Ive been reading up on this too. what I believe needs to be done is that the whole radiator system needs to be replaced with the rad-tec golf G60 rallye FMIC conversion, this smaller radiator will allow for another intake to be mounted in front of the G-ladder, gotta make wierd tubing but it will work, Im talking flat wide tubing, preferably samco wierdness. the 2nd intake will go right next to the original intake, and the hose will wrap around to the other side of the charger. kinda like what BBM does on their lysolm charger. crazy system, darren is that a 20V head on a G60 block? or is that a 1.8T ina corrado witha G-ladder instead of a turbo..... Im intrigued......

I have done both of these mods so will post up pics of my set-up when I get a chance. All that's required is correct length of suitable flexible ducting, an alloy flange and a universal K+N or similar. The ducting passes from being attached to the RHS of the charger behind the fan housing and down underneath the vehicle, as being outside the engine bay there is little heat.

An alternative is to use the charger to airbox rubber hose together with a length of suitably shaped alloy pipe which goes from the rubber hose just outside the engine bay then attach your filter to this pipe, hey-presto, secondary intake which doesn't get heatsoaked.

As for relocating the original intake, I suggest using an original charger to airbox rubber hose together with a length of shaped alloy piping and attach the filter to this. I have attached pics below of G60 engine bays to demonstrate the above details. My set-up for the secondary inlet is basically the same as in the second pic but my ducting and filter sits outside of the engine bay to avoid heatsoak. My primary induction set-up is as in first pic.

Cheers

Custom airbox on that vage.ie car looks really good, although I hope they aren't actually using an ITG foam filter on a charged car as these are notorious for being about the worst possible filter one can use on the G60 etc.

This is due to the fact that small farticles of foam get sucked in with the induction flow and combine oil film to form an effective grinding paste which attacks the porting and apex selas etc. As well as the fact that foam filters don't have nearly as good dust filtration properties as cottom / gauze ones.

Much better to use a k+N panel in a custom airbox or a cone filter that is cotton / gauze,

Cheers

The whole debris/grinding paste issue doesnt really worry me, what with 1500 mile rebuild intervals on the charger...........anyway if its good enough for Jeroen Dik( and its one of his airboxe,s the same as on his infamous Corrado)

its good enough for me.

Running a K&N cone filter the other side, with a modified BBM heatshield, as a temporay measure until I can get a proper carbon airbox fabricated.

On the dyno the standard airbox proved to be a huge restriction with current engine spec.(0.1 bar boost less with the airbox in place).

As for how loud it will be........dont really care to be honest, its a no compromise trackday car, but I'll tell you next week when its back on the road. 8)

I might stick up a few proper pics then,as the setup in the pics is far from the finished spec.