Sign in to follow this  
zapbranny

Golf GTI owner looking for a Rado

Hey all

I'm normally on the Club GTI forum, but I've come to you guys for some advice, I'm currently running a MK2 8v golf. I'm planning on taking it off the road and turning it into a little project. I've always liked the Corrado and want something with a bit more power than the Golf and a bit more civillised on the Motorway.

Looking to spend around £3k, but don't know what I should be looking at. I have heard the 1.8 16v KR is the better bet than the 2.0 16v is this correct? anything else I should be aware of (apart from in the buyers guide).

I've always wanted a VR6 but its out of my reach at the moment once insurance is included. What can I expect to get for £3k?

Any advice will be much appreciated

Thanks

I'm probably not the best to post a comment having never driven the 2.0 16v. However, my last two cars (for eight and a bit years) were Mk.2 8v's and I can report that the Corrado 1.8 16v is a more rewarding drive and a lot less stressed at modern motorway speeds (that's why I bought it too). I used to get better fuel economy in the Digifant Golfs but I'd still rather have the Corrado for everyday driving.

A lot of people say that their Corrado's cost them a lot of money in repairs but I haven't found that with mine at all. I do any work that's required myself and the car has cost me very little in the last year. Most of the money I spend has been on things I want rather than things I need, i.e. smoked rear lights, 17'' wheels, etc.

Go for it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Three grand will get you plenty of Corrado.

A lot of people say that their Corrado's cost them a lot of money in repairs but I haven't found that with mine at all. I do any work that's required myself and the car has cost me very little in the last year. Most of the money I spend has been on things I want rather than things I need, i.e. smoked rear lights, 17'' wheels, etc.

Yeah, but have you seen the state of your C? :lol:

The people that spend a lot tend to be perfectionists (myself included) so if something isn't perfect then it's getting fixed/replaced.

As far as £3k goes, you may be able to get a high mile G60 for that, but if insurance is an issue you might have to count that out. The prices of Corrados seem to be rising quite a bit at the moment though.

As far as the 16v vs 8v goes, I've not driven either, so I can't really comment. Some people seem to think the 16v is better, some think the 8v. The 8v's are certainly pretty rare though.

I don't think many people actually think the 8v is *better*, just that it's not as bad as most people seem to make out.

For cheapness it's the best, as it's in the lowest insurance group of the lot, and it's a pretty bullet-proof engine from what I hear. Those that have them report that it's the torquey-est of the three engines, so it provides a more relaxed drive.

As far as the 16vs (1.8 vs 2.0) is concerned, from what I hear the 2.0 has slightly better torque (as you'd expect) though ultimately the performance of the two isn't very different on the limit. The catalyst and emissions control on the 2.0 counteracts the extra CCs. They're both pretty reliable, though they both suffer from timing chains and tappet problems with high miles (that's a lot of tappets!). I'm sure people with more experience of these cars can provide more details.

For £3k you should be able to get tidy examples of any of these cars, 16v or 8v. Bear in mind even the 8 valve car is insurance group 15 though, when you're doing the maths..!

3k should buy a really nice 16valver and possibly low miles too.

if you want another pair of eyes with you when you buy im sure someone here would be local to you to assist.

it depends if you want modded,original, etc etc

cheers

chubbz

Cheers guys.

Ok, looking at the performance figures the 2.0 16V seems to be a bit slower than the 1.8 16v, take it this is due the catalyst then?

In that case, I'm looking for a black/ dark blue 1.8 16V either completely standard or lightly modified. What year did they change them from a 1.8 to 2.0?

Anybody know where there is one going?

what kind of mileage should I be looking at and what work will need doing?

Surely its not too much different from the 16v golf with regards to working on.

Cheers guys.

Ok, looking at the performance figures the 2.0 16V seems to be a bit slower than the 1.8 16v, take it this is due the catalyst then?

In that case, I'm looking for a black/ dark blue 1.8 16V either completely standard or lightly modified. What year did they change them from a 1.8 to 2.0?

Anybody know where there is one going?

what kind of mileage should I be looking at and what work will need doing?

Surely its not too much different from the 16v golf with regards to working on.

2.0 16v is meant to be a bit more torquey than the 1.8.............but not as slow as some figures suggest

April 92 is when the 2.0 16v first appeared........though with the early interior

there is a cheap-ish 2.0 16v in a nice dark colour on the forum at the moment......needs some minor paint but benefits from a mint interior and is in rude health

mileage wise much and such the same for comparable Golfs etc.........most will be 100k-ish

the 1.8 KR is much and such identical to the KR in the Golf 16v(mk2).......the 2.0 16v is found in Passats and some Audi's(well it is an Audi design)

16v engines and timing chains???

errmmm.... :roll:

Yup, the chain between the 2 cams needs to be replaced around about the same time as the tappets are in need of doing... don't change it and the inlet cam stops spinning and you get lots of nice bent valves... :| :roll: It's only a cheap little chain, but it's kinda important! :wink:

I STILL miss my 1.8 16V Corrado... Lovely motor, quick enough to be fun and pretty cheap to run too... 8)