Sign in to follow this  
vr6paul

rear brake/suspension question- vr6

I am going to do the back brakes on my corrado and have heard that if you replace the discs you must also replace the wheel bearing. Is this right?

Are there any things I should know before doing this ie anything out of the ordinary with regards to removal and refitting.

Not really desperate for discs to be changed but would like to know they have been done.

Also was thinking of bump stops- only bottoms out with full car and not very often.

Should i go ahead and do them too and if so how easy are they to replace.

THanks in advance guys

cheers

Paul

I don't think you *have* to do the bearings. Its just I think you have to bang/drift the bearing housings out of the old discs- potentially damaging then, and to be honest you may as well replace them for the peace of mind- they really are not expensive. I'm no expert but I think you might have to bear in mind the possibility that you may knacker the ABS rings when changing the discs. Again not expensive :D

If you're going to attack the rear brakes, I would seriously consider doing the whole lot. Discs, bearings, ABS rotors, rear seal guard, pads, MK4 calipers, the lot. Sounds expensive and a lot of work, but it isn't. Arm yourself with a Sykes Pickavent caliper tool from Halfords (about £15) and you'll have the whole lot done on a Sunday and it's well worth it.

Especially as winter is fast approaching, where any iffy calipers will sieze and corrode up.

With the MK4 calipers and pads, the car is held still on an incline with 1 click on the handbrake. They actually work and if you really feel like it, you can lock the rear wheels at speed Vectra style by yanking the handbrake up :lol:

Bearings are easy to do. You hammer the old shells out and use those to drift the new ones in :wink:

Only do the bumpstops if they're visibly breaking up. They're made of foam rubber and break up with age.

Only do the bumpstops if they're visibly breaking up. They're made of foam rubber and break up with age.

And if they're breaking up it usually means the shocks are dead too (unless you've already replaced them of course) ;)

i have looked at discs and they do not look too bad. does anyone know what the minimum thickness is for them so i can double check.