Sign in to follow this  
Blown

The old spoiler again.

Here we go again.......

Spoiler won't work.

Dead.

Flat refuses to do anything-won't go either up or down,automatically or manually(on the switch).

I have replaced the control unit twice and no joy.Have also checked voltage to the rear and all seems fine,and yes, I have checked the fuse too.

I've even changed the entire spoiler motor assembly,and that made no diff,so it has to be somewhere in the wiring.

Is there an earth or a connection somewhere up in the roof,as that seems to be where the wiring goes to,that could be a cause of this?

I have a wiring diagram from my local VW garage,who said something about a wire sometimes breaking inside the sheath,but not being electrically literate,I can't make head nor tail of it! :oops:

Any help is appreciated.

P.S.as the car is legally off the road,I can't get it to a garage to let the "professionals" look at it. :?

have you checked the blue wire behind your ICE?

Yeah,first thing I tried after reading about it on here.

Disconnected the whole unit and ran about for an entire day with no music,in a vain attempt to get the spoiler to work! :oops:

The blue wire only effects the auto-raise/lower. The spoiler would still work on the switch.

I presume you're getting no volts at the spoiler motor when the switch is operated then?

Blown,

Quite supprised to see you have a picture of a Seat Cupra, is that a Leon?

I have a Leon Cupra and a Corrado 16v, on seatcupra.net I'm using the photo of my Corrado!

my local VW garage said something about a wire sometimes breaking inside the sheath

they mean the flexible rubber boots where the cables feed from the car to the boot at the top. the cables do sometimes go brittle with age and break inside the rubber boot if that has happened it should just be a case of pulling back the boots and re-connecting the cables (just dont use yee haaa scotchlocs)

the spoiler mech shares the same earth as the rest of the electrics in the boot so if it had no earth the number plate lights, fogs ect wouldnt work either

check for a supply to the motor at the motor end of the loom

Blown,

Quite supprised to see you have a picture of a Seat Cupra, is that a Leon?

I have a Leon Cupra and a Corrado 16v, on seatcupra.net I'm using the photo of my Corrado!

No,unfortunately it's not mine.I was looking after my mates car for a while,as he works offshore.Couldn't afford to run it AND my G60,so I have a MK2 Gti runabout instead!

Blown wrote:

my local VW garage said something about a wire sometimes breaking inside the sheath

they mean the flexible rubber boots where the cables feed from the car to the boot at the top. the cables do sometimes go brittle with age and break inside the rubber boot if that has happened it should just be a case of pulling back the boots and re-connecting the cables (just dont use yee haaa scotchlocs)

the spoiler mech shares the same earth as the rest of the electrics in the boot so if it had no earth the number plate lights, fogs ect wouldnt work either

check for a supply to the motor at the motor end of the loom

Yeah,I'll try that.Didn't think of it at the time.... :oops:

No,unfortunately it's not mine.I was looking after my mates car for a while,as he works offshore.Couldn't afford to run it AND my G60,so I have a MK2 Gti runabout instead!

Mk2 GTI is still cool, I had mine for 5 years.

Leon Cupra is a lovley car, smooth, comfortable and fast, even so, I still love the Corrado. Not sure if i'll keep the Seat, I got it cheap with a few faults, which I have sorted now. Might sell it and hopefully make a small profit on it.

Does anyone have an idiot-guide to removing and refitting the rear spoiler mechanism itself? It looks to me like pretty much everything in there is bolted to the spoiler mechanism, which is in turn bolted to the boot lid.. It looks like a pain to get it all out, mainly cos it's hard to know where to start!

And then there's the excellent bolts that hold the rubber spoiler seals down onto the boot lid. There's a captive nut underneath, that's surrounded by some weak plastic.. First turn of the screwdriver breaks 'em free.. :(

Just attack it with a socket set and let gravity take-over when you've undone the parts :lol:

Since the spoiler is the main guts of the tailgate, everything else around it is gonna have to come out first. Wiper motor and bracket, possibly inner light clusters, C/L actuator etc etc....

But first, raise the spoiler manually and take it off it's supports with an allen key, 5mm I think. Otherwise you'll have real fun and games getting it through the boot lid, LOL!!

Then lower the spoiler-less tubes back into their homes and then the whole lot should drop down as a complete Motor/guide tube assembly. I've seen them loose at car shows, so it is very possible and obviously easy if the breakers didn't bend the guide tubes out of shape removing the assembly.

I took mine apart a few weeks ago as mine has died a slow death as well. (still not sorted it :evil: ) But as Kev says the whole section does come out together with a bit of persuasion. Just gotta take the rear wiper motor out first and leave yourself plenty of time as its bloody fiddly :x