Sign in to follow this  
Oakley

Locking Wheel Nut wont' come off!

some tyre dealers will have a set of locking wheel nut removers,or you could smack a slightly smaller socket over the locking nut then undo it

Ah I had this problem when I bought my car, took it to Guildford tyres and they drilled it out, they require some hardcore drill piece to do it, phoned up some rescue prat who took a hammer and a socket set trying to get it off all he did was set the alarm off on my car a few times and make me cry :cry:

i didnt need a special drill to get mine off just a normal hss drill slightly smaller than the size of the thread, the head of the locking wheel bolt was actually very soft, just drill deep enough to weaken the thread at the base of the head of the bolt, and then pull on the opposite side of the wheel and it shold snap quite easily thats what i did for two of them, and used a stud extractor for the other two, you can pick a set of stud extractors up for about 5 quid from machine mart

What type of locking wheel nut is it? 3 round offset hole (tri-lock) style, funny shaped groove set into the outer face, or oddly shaped outer style?

Lemme know and I'll PM you a possible answer... (I know a couple of tricks... ;) )

It's not too clever putting up how to remove locking wheel nuts on a public forum... ;) :roll:

dazzyvr6, It's not the car theives I'm worried about... if someone like that wants 'em, they'll take 'em... it's the little scroats who may just happen to come along this forum and think "ah, nice car, and I now know how to nick his wheels..." that concern me...

At the end of the day, I could post up here a complete "how to" on how to open a corrado, de-immobilise it and get around all of the locks so they could just drive off with it all in about 15 to 20 mins, but I don't think you'd be too impressed with that would you? :|

Oh, and my mates garage has got one of those dynomec tools... they're VERY good, but have you seen the price?!?

Oakley, you may find that some of your local cheapo tyre places have a "universal" tri-lock key which they would get your bolts out with for a few quid... if you've got tri-locks that is... :|

I'd advise anyone using the original tri-locks to change them asap!

Even if your careful with them some kwik fit monkey will stretch them with an airgun one day...

The first time I went down to Stealth I watched Vince spend 2 hours drilling one out for Kevhaywire, seriously hard work!

Best available locking wheelbolts are made by a company called McGard. O.E.suppliers to Mercedes Benz (amongst others)

Readily available from (cough) Halfords

Always tighten/loosen locking wheel bolts with a wheel wrench & under no circumstances at all let anybody use an airgun on them !!

yep i got the mcguard locks for mine after the tri lock ones snapped

one of the mods please feel free to edit/delete my "how to nick a tidy set of wheels" suggestions :wink: and i will pm it to Oakley or is there a way it can be made availiable to members only

i just thought if someone is scum enough to nick someones wheels they would know the tricks allready :roll:

just like biggerbigneil, I had the same problem and the dealer had to drill it out, damaging the alloy in the process!

They paid for everything cos I insisted they had put the wheel on when the replaced the tyres. The problem is the original supplied Quantum locking nuts. They have a low yield rate and will give just at the edge which needs to contact the adaptor. I would advise anyone with this type of locking wheel nut to take them off while you can and replace with newer design quantum ones from VW.

Get down to your local motorfactors and buy a set of locking wheel nut removers.

They come in a set of 3 and cover most sizes, best used with an air gun and have a left handed threah on the inside of a socket which cuts into the outside of the locking wheel nut and locks when it reaches the bottom. It then continues to remove the offending lock nut and causes no damage to the wheel but does render the lock nut scrap.

Get down to your local motorfactors and buy a set of locking wheel nut removers.

They come in a set of 3 and cover most sizes, best used with an air gun and have a left handed threah on the inside of a socket which cuts into the outside of the locking wheel nut and locks when it reaches the bottom. It then continues to remove the offending lock nut and causes no damage to the wheel but does render the lock nut scrap.

Didnt work for me. Could you not use a fairly large sharp centre punch and place it angled near the outer radius of the bolt and give it a great big whack. This works wonders on smaller bolts.

What a marvellous invention :wink:

might try this on my front bumper nuts....spent over an hour getting blisters on my hands before giving up :mad: :mad:

Indeed they are but dont allways work

I just recently removed a set of old VAG ones from a VR6 Golf and they were a nightmare because the wheels that were on it didn't allow me to get one of the removers over the head of the locking nut. I eventually removed the entire hubs front and rear from the car with the wheels and brakes attatched and took them down to main stealer who kindly let me go through all thier master keys till i found the right one to remove the nuts.

I now have a nice set of speedline 5 spokes for my trouble that are off to be refurbed, and before you ask i scrapped the car so it wouldn't have been easier to drive it down :wink:

Sorry about the long delay in replying. I have got the standard tri locks but think I definately need something else. Any more suggestions greatly appreciated.