Sign in to follow this  
kerrinmay

No Permanent Power to Stereo

Just purchased my first Corrado and fitted my old stereo to it, however there is no constant power supply to it. When you switch off the car, I lose all my presets etc. Can anyone offer any advise as to what I can look at? The connection blocks were already the right type for me to just plug the wiring into from my stereo so I've not had to fiddle with any specific connections.

I have to admit I was going to check the fuses but haven't yet. Could it really be as simple as that? I thought I might have to start tracing wires back etc.

Don't suppose you'd know which specific fuse I should check for the stereo?

I have to admit I was going to check the fuses but haven't yet. Could it really be as simple as that? I thought I might have to start tracing wires back etc.

Don't suppose you'd know which specific fuse I should check for the stereo?

oh yeah sorry its a corrado you will probably have to replace the whole wiring loom, the engine, all sensors, switches ect....ect.........

just check all of the fuses on the fuse box on the right hand side below the steering column

you may also have to swap the red and yellow wires on the back of the stereo... I seem to remember that Corrados have the permanent and switched lives the wrong way around.... :|

Check 'em with a multimeter to see if they both have power on 'em when the ignition is on, and which one goes off when it's switched off again.... 8)

Henny, that sounds right. When I took the stereo out of my Rado and fitted it to the Passat, I had to snip the red & yellow wires and cross them over as I had exactly the same problem.

Cheers,

Tom

If the wires are the wrong way round, would that not give a constant power to the main power for the stereo and therefore it would work with the ignition off? Or do you think the stereo would require power on both wires to allow it to be actually used?

Possibly... some head units will only work with both power supplies on... It's definately a case of lobbing in a multimeter (or even a bulb!) to see what power you have on which wire and when... if one of them has never got power, then you know you have a slightly deeper problem somewhere, probably a dead in-line fuse or similar...

I've cheated in my car and I've run a seperate permanent live straight to the battery to power all of the gizmos in my dash so I know it's not trying to run 101 other things off a 3A fuse and has it's own fuse at the battery to protect the car in the event of a fault... 8) I then use the permanent live to power both switched and live wires so that the stereo isn't affected by the keys position... :)

yep done the same as henny, its amazing the difference a decent size ground and 12v supply straight from the battery make, the screen on my hu used to dim with the bass until i gave it a decent supply

When I put my Pioneer HU in recently I needed to swap the yellow and red connectors over (a la the manual!) to get it to stay on all the time.

Otherwise it would only work with the ignition on and lose all of it's settings as soon as you took the key out.

Surely you can buy a Pioneer ISO converter so you don't have to snip the wires on the original multiplug?

This is a pet hate of mine as every VW I've bought has had the stereo loom butchered by previous owners. :mad:

Surely you can buy a Pioneer ISO converter so you don't have to snip the wires on the original multiplug?

This is a pet hate of mine as every VW I've bought has had the stereo loom butchered by previous owners. :mad:

Yeah it was on the ISO connector.. but one of the wires that joines the ISO connector to the HU was swappable for precisely the purpose noted above ;)

Very pleased to say that I finally had time last night to have a proper look and much to my delight I found that the wiring for my stereo included bullet connectors for the two power lines enabling them to be swapped over. Upon doing this, everything now works as it should do! Great to finally have my stereo functioning properly again. It had been getting quite frustrating having to retune it everytime I started the car.