Sign in to follow this  
swfblade

stackage

was coming over the brow of a hill this morning, and there were parked cars on my side of the road, when a gipo in a transit flat back came storming the other way. I had nowhere to go but into the side of a parked mk4 GTi :cry:

Its not done too much damage, in fact the only thing im aware of at the mo, to my G60, is the outer bits of the center caps of my alloys have gone missing. Wing mirror popped off, but i popped it back on, and a bit of his paint on my front wing, but i think i may be able to t-cut it out.

The GTi is a different story tho :(

His wing mirror was destroyed, and he has a dent in his OS front wing. Not a big dent, but a dent non the less.

Im now not sure whether to go thru ins. or not. Ive got quite a big policy excess, so if i do i'll claim for the wheels, front wing and passenger door (there are a few dents on that from b4 i got the car). But as i say, excess is quite a chunk. Thing is, if I do go thru ins. do I still have to pay excess due to the work on his car? If so, it may be cheaper to do it private, as I know someone who works at VW, so could get the parts cheaper.

Sorry to hear yr badluck mate, I'm sure you should be able to cover the repair parts witout going through insurance..

Thanks for your concern over on my post. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, hope it works out. Big problem now is with C's not selling for much and parts costing silly money, they very easily become economic write offs. That's my worry with mine :cry:

Im now not sure whether to go thru ins. or not. Ive got quite a big policy excess, so if i do i'll claim for the wheels, front wing and passenger door (there are a few dents on that from b4 i got the car). But as i say, excess is quite a chunk. Thing is, if I do go thru ins. do I still have to pay excess due to the work on his car? If so, it may be cheaper to do it private, as I know someone who works at VW, so could get the parts cheaper.

You will pay the excess once, based on the total value of the claim, regardless of whether it's your damage or theirs.

No claims discount is vital to a good price on your policy, do it without the insurance if you can afford to.

Most insurance companies will give you the option of paying for the claim yourself, if you wish to protect your no-claims, even if you've put the claim through their system.

Never put any claim through insurance companies systems if you can help it, even if you pay for it yourself and get to keep your no-claims discount. They'll still have a claim on record, and we all know how snidey ins companies are for bumping up prices etc.

UPDATE:

Got a quote for repairs from Kieths VW in Aylesbury. Altho its not much damage, its going to be close to being a write off coz VW r so bloody spensive!!

Repairs include:

• nsf wing respray[/*:m:329c3]
  • ns door reshape and respay[/*:m:329c3]
  • nsr 1/4 panel reshape and respray[/*:m:329c3]
  • rubbing strip down whole ns[/*:m:329c3]
  • alloy wheel x2 + centre cap[/*:m:329c3]
  • wheel alignment[/*:m:329c3]

As I say the damage aint as bad as that list makes it sound! its basically a small amount of scratch down the ns, but theyve gotta respray whole side of car, + the parts. Will come to around £1800 and I know the cars prolly worth loads more than that, but ins. company will only see a 13 1/2 year old car, not the fact that its a C. :mad:

Oh well, I'll get the quote off and c wot they say. :brickwall:

Good luck mate... seems that there's a lot of us having insurance problems at the moment... :|

Yep, my quote was £1800 and it's currently being fixed, this included new rear bumper and re-shaping the rear panel and re-allinging the boot and lights plus wax injection etc....

ok, ive got the final figure, inc. VAT etc.

£2024.48

just out of curiosity, does the amount Ive got the car insured for matter in these surcumstances?

depends if it's agreed value or not... Normally they go off the glasses guide price, but they're sh!t and well under what these are going for, so print out some Autotrader ads and some off here so that if they start getting arsey, you can prove to 'em that the car is worth well over the £2K that glasses say it's worth... ;) :mad:

Unlucky mate!!! :( The excess on your policy is only applicable to your car if you claim so if your excess is say £500 you will have to pay for the first £500 of any repairs to your car. If the mk4's damage is only as you say the wing and the mirror then if he is willing to settle without going through insurance I would, as a new wing from ECP is only £70 and an electric mirror is only £50 + painting and fitting you should be looking at a figure of around £200 which it will probably cost you over the next 3-5 years on loaded insutrance premiums

Sorry to hear the news mate, good luck with extracting money out of them for this. Did you get any details on the nutter van driver?

Henny, thnx 4 the advice, I will do that now!

dinkus, no i didnt get his details, altho it would have been a waste of time anyway. I rekognised them as some "Travellers" (or wotever PC word we're sposed to use now) from a permanant site nearby, so they wouldnt of had MOT/tax/ins.