Sign in to follow this  
theRuler

big wheels = slow?

i still have the standard 15 x 6.5 speedlines (5 spoke) on my CVR6.

they are getting a bit tatty looking. i need a new set.

but i dont want to put bigger wheels on it, because i think it will slow it down / have a detremental affect on the ride, just for the sake of looks.

is this the case?

now i am not a "tiny wheel" fan, but i do think that the 15"ers on the car are pretty well suited.

Nope, not necessarily..... not that I've found at least.

The key to a successful wheel size-up is weight and tyre compound.

I've run the Speedlines, some 16s and now 17s and believe it or not, I prefer the ride of the 17s to the 15s!

As for acceleration, I think there is a very small drop on 17s, but nothing to get too worried about.

Can't really comment on different ride qualities, but in terms of aesthetics I think the standard speedlines are really nice, especially when the car's been lowered a little. Don't think I'd go any larger than 16" tho.

i'd like to get some audi tt rims (the older ones). i saw some on a C in stafford not too long ago.

do they just go on without any arch-rolling/mods?

Yep TT rims go on a VR no probs.....

I've resisted big wheels for over 10 years on my dubs, for the same reasons as you guys, i.e the car is optimized for 15s, but if you get the right wheel, you get the looks AND the ride comfort :lol:

I've resisted big wheels for over 10 years on my dubs, for the same reasons as you guys, i.e the car is optimized for 15s, but if you get the right wheel, you get the looks AND the ride comfort :lol:

word.

i've never gone any bigger than 15" on my golfs / corrado.

but the C i saw with the TT rims looked s w e e t

also saw one somewhere with Audi 5 spoke rims on. they looked good too.

its the cost of the tyres that crucifies me. i can safely afford good NEW 15" tyres. but i have mates who run 17"s on their cars and they are buying sh1tty part worns etc.

tyres are pretty important - seeing as that is the contact between you and the road.

maybe i am just old. i remember when 15" rims were HUGE on a mk1 golf.

but the C i saw with the TT rims looked s w e e t

I've got a pir of 17" TT wheels for sale (as in my signature pic) with the correct size tyres ie 205/40/17: Click HERE

The thing to remember is that as long as the toital diameter of the wheels is as near to standard as possible then there won't be any difference to speed etc.

These TT wheels fit directly on to a VR6 and I didn't need no spacers or nothing man !

mate those rims look soo dope.

but i am strapped for cash at the min. dang, i want them too.

i have been looking at audi 5 spoke 16" rims (off an A6?) on ebay. i think i could get a set for couple of hundred, w/tyres.

your's are nice rims though, and at the right price too.