Sign in to follow this  
duffer

Roof strips

The rubber running along side the plastic strips on my roof are in a bad way. Sections of the rubber has come away and the rest is quite cracked.

1) Will this course my car to leak?

2) How much would it be to replace both sides?

I have recently noticed that the driverside footwell is wet, would this be because of the roof? If not whats coursing that?

Cheers

Won't cause leaks at all but they are not cheap to replace, cost me about £90 from the Stealers - stocks are running very low though, they are now discontinued by VW and when I got mine a couple of weeks ago I was told they only had 7 pairs left

I bought some week before last, as was quite concerned that they would let water into the car, but when I then came to fit them realised that they wouldn't. You're right they are not cheap, I think they were about £47 each. They do tidy the roof up quite a bit and glad I got them now if you're saying they are discontinued.

All the strips do is cover the roof to A/B/C pillar spot welding! A20LEE has filled and smoothed over the gutter, so no more strip hassles for him! Plus he probably doesn't get any water pouring out of the gutter and into the car when he brakes either :x

That has to be one of the most anoying problems with C's. Its not just that the water out of the gutter comes in though the window, but that it goes straight onto the window and mirror switches.

Dont know what to do about the strips now.

What would be causing the water in drivers footwell?

Yes, and then the passenger window goes down on it's own, LOL!!

I'm going to remove the strips and put them back in again with black sealant, which will fill the gutter and stop the water flooding them. As it stands, they currently just sit in the gutter with sticky strips and the water just builds up underneath them. Quality!

Water in driver's footwell could be a number of things..... try a search as I can't remember the reasons off hand.

Pretty much. Pull the strips out, tape off the roof where the strips sit so you don't get black silicon everywhere, fill the gutter with black silicon, bash the strips back in again, wipe away excess silicon. Allow to dry. Voila! Gutters completely sealed.

Dry silicon can be wiped off with bleach if you get it on the paint, so no probs there.

Andy665 said

Won't cause leaks at all but they are not cheap to replace, cost me about £90 from the Stealers

Isn't it preposterous that a piece of trim that has no mechanical/electrical function whatsoever should cost so much?

This is a scandalous ripoff. VAG must be ignorant if they do not realise the illwill their policies are generating among their loyal customers.

I will almost certainly soon consider ditching VW after 23 years. Honda (Civic Type R) or similar, here I come.

Easy to get out, you just pull them off. Removing the old glue residue isn't so much fun though.

They are very fragile and quite stubborn to fit. You have slot the leading edge of the strip into the roof peg and then tap it in the gutter and hope it aligns with the rear roof peg. The rear part of the strip that forms part of the tailgate hinge cover is VERY brittle and snaps off easily.

I did a fitting guide for them..... somewhere in body mods I suspect.