Sign in to follow this  
surfer.vr6

harshness from engine

i have still got a problem of harshness from the engine at between 3500-4500rpm,

this happens both when under load and not

you can pick up the vibration through the throttle pedal

i changed complete exhaust system thing it was resenation from there , but still the same.

changed oil and filter , still no luck

anyone got any ideas?

2lt 16v

I've had exactly the same problem as this, on my last valver aswell as my current one. Obviously surfer.vr6 didn't get to the bottom of the problem because I bought the car from the guy that bought it from him and it was still the same! It was only when I was searching for a solution to the problem that I found this thread :) - I took the car to RKE and they put the vibration down to a cheap exhaust system which having read the above post it obviously isn't because surfer.vr6 was having the problem before and after fitting the exhaust.

I sold the car on and i've now bought another 16v that runs as sweet as a nut apart from this horrible vibration that can be felt through the cabin between 3250 and 3750 revs. At first I thought it might be transmition related but if you sit and hold the car at 3.5k revs when it's not in gear the vibration is the same. It's really weird because the car runs very quietly and smoothly up to and after the roughness at around 3.5K revs :(. It's also a bloody co-incidence that the last two 16v's have had exactly the same problem!

Has anyone else had this problem? Or can anyone shed any light on what could be causing it ? :(

Mine has always been like that!

about 3300rpm is the worst point for me...feels like a powerdrill behind the dash lol :lol:

changed the front mount which had made no difference, i'll be changing the others soon ish.... hopefully thats all it is

Not sure what form the harshness takes but.. I was experiencing a rasping roar whenever going past about 4,000RPM on my valver. A few folks suggested it could be the Power Rohr I have fitted and so on but it turned out to be the heat shield on the cat - the welding on it was cracking and for some reason at those revs it made it resonate like hell and make a bizarre rasping noise. Welded up and it's stopped doing it!

I didn't. It came with the car. Am currently in the process of hunting down a standard intake pipe so I can put it back to standard :)

Mine has always been like that!

about 3300rpm is the worst point for me...feels like a powerdrill behind the dash lol :lol:

changed the front mount which had made no difference, i'll be changing the others soon ish.... hopefully thats all it is

Yeah, my initial thoughts were the engine mount on the previous valver I had with the same problem, but after it was put down to a cheap quality exhaust I tried to ignore it. It was only when I had exactly the same problem with this other valver that I thought it must be something other than the exhaust.

I thought i'd bump the thread to see if surfer_vr6 had changed the mounts ( or anything else for that matter ) so I know what's been tried before shelling out for parts I don't need :?

OK, so after having my rear mount changed, and a new exhaust both of which made no difference - RKE have managed to locate the problem - it was a drive shaft. This is weird because the vibration occured if the car was sat still and out of gear being rev'd so it wasn't looking like it was transmission related :?

Anyway, it's sorted now so I thought i'd post in here for other peoples future reference, and to let Veedub know that he should check his! :)

Think I have cured it on your old one Dave, the heat sheild behind the exhaust manifold was not fixed on at the bottom and was sitting against the exhaust manifold and rattling like a good'un.

Fixed it back on and good as new! I love quick cheap fixes!!

I love quick cheap fixes!!

:lol: - Don't rub my nose in it, ive spent a silly ammount on getting to the bottom of this bloody problem :angry: - if you want some cheap exhaust parts let me know! :lol:

(Glad you got it sorted easily tho , this vibration was ten times as bad as on yours tho :) )

I love quick cheap fixes!!

:lol: - Don't rub my nose in it, ive spent a silly ammount on getting to the bottom of this bloody problem :angry: - if you want some cheap exhaust parts let me know! :lol:

(Glad you got it sorted easily tho , this vibration was ten times as bad as on yours tho :) )

Bah sorry mate!! I think Im all sorted exhaust wise for the moment, fitting a new back box this afternoon, will give you a shout if I need anything!!

Well at least yours is all sorted now!