Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

Mazda 3

without wanting to start off another corrado vs thread, i had a bit of a race with a guy in one of these on the way to work this morning, from the badge on the back it was a TS2, and he diidn't seem to go away as quickly as i thought considering they're only about 105bhp! parkers quotes the 0-60 at 8.7sec which is pretty rapid for a car with that BHP, so i'm thinking they maybe have a fair bit of torque and thats how he 'almost' kept up? either that or my C's broken!

I launched the Mazda3 for Mazda Europe in Berlin last year, there is no way the 1.6 does 0-60 in 8.7 secs, the 2.0 will though. TS2 is only a trim level - as far as I know there is no external reference to the cars engine size.

To be fair the 16v 1.8 Corrado takes around 8.5 secs to get to 60mph anyway... and thats one that is in fine fettle.

'dual' carrageway, I overtook him at 70-80 then had to slow down at which point he was all over my back bumper until the road cleared a little and we had a bit of fun :)

looking at parkers.co.uk andy, its saying the 2.0 is 103BHP, thats got to be a mistake hasn't it? I hope its more like 130, then i can regain a little pride!

2 litre is 140PS which I think is 136BHP, 2 litre is nippy but I would never call it quick

I always get into some sort of race on the way to work every morning :lol:

This morning my challengers were a Volvo 850 2.5 (not a T5), a VW Beetle (new shape) and a Celica VVTi. When I say challengers, they were the sort that put their foot down in the inside lane so that I couldn't get past - or so they thought/hoped.

The Celica guy was well up for some though. A coupe v coupe showdown on a cold November morning :lol: After my VR sniggered to itself at his attempt of "beating me to the lorry" in the inside lane, he then glued himself to my bumper whilst overtaking said truck and was preparing himself for the impending battle. On paper, they're looking good...190 bhp, quite small and light. Not unlike the C. But what he overlooked was his torque defecit and also hadn't banked on a Schrick and 268s in my armoury, so he was left trailing in my wake :lol:

He didn't give up though.....each time I got stuck behind a car, he'd catch up and re-attach himself to my bumper. Why do these people bother? Is one pasting not enough?

'dual' carrageway, I overtook him at 70-80 then had to slow down at which point he was all over my back bumper until the road cleared a little and we had a bit of fun :)

8) :oops:

He obviously wanted to discover what a really good looking coupe should look like. Had use of one of those Celica's at the RX8 launch, really plasticky interior and certainly didn't feel high quality - it was great fun to throw around the track, you could do anything with it - incredibly controllable