Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

Doh.. ran out of Fuel

Found out the hard way last night the fuel level is a little misleading. When it looks like it's slightly above the white line I thought I'd have some fuel left. Well in Knightsbridge I realised the car was loosing power. I managed to get the car all the way to Chelsea bridge and then it stalled and I had to freewheel all the way to the shell garage at the bottom of the hill. Managed to stop right at the Optimax pump as well !!

Saw another Corrado cruising past me at the time. Anyone off here?

Anyway stuck some Optimax in and gave it some revs and it seems happy enough. Should I put through a bottle of injector cleaner or is it just a matter of getting on with it again?

Same thing happened to me yesterday...on my way to get an M.O.T, luckily the missus was following! Ive probably driven past ya a few times, i live in Putney, where abouts do you live?

Do C's have a warning llight that comes on when you are in the reserve? I've only filled mine up twice so far since I've had it and I've not let it go into the reserve yet. With my last car, when it first started to drop into the reserve the warning light didn't come on, only came on a bit later and I knew that I could do about another 20 miles safely before filling up. I'm now wondering how far I should let the needle on my C drop before I fill up. I've done about 330miles so far on this tank and it's not quite in the red yet.

How many miles do you think I should be able to get out of a full tank? The car seems to think it's done just under 30mpg since I filled up, and as I said earlier it's given me 330miles so far (and it's a 2.0 16v).

in my 1.8 16v golf i'd go by about 320 to 340 miles out of a tank.

its just one of them things you just have to try out over time!!!!!!!!

2.0 16V should have a 15gallon tank in it (it was only the early G60s and 1.8 16Vs which got the 12 gallon tank)

I tend to fill my G60 up every 350 miles to be safe, even though I know there's a good couple of gallons left in there... 8)

I've yet to find out how far down the needle goes on my VR, but I've put about 58 litres in before... :?

The high-tech Corrado low-fuel warning system involves your engine coughing and cutting out. This gives you a warning that you should roll to the nearest petrol forecourt before you stop completely and have to get out and walk. :lol:

eep! I've just checked on my last petrol receipt... :|

58.95 litres = as near as damn it 13 Gallons... meaning I'm getting around 26MPG out of the car on the normal daily commute into Manchester and back...

I was right about 350miles meaning I've got about a couple of gallons left though! 8)

Think I'll fill up when I finish work and then check how much I put in. As I must have a 15 gallon tank which is about 68 litres I should get a pretty good idea of how much is left in the tank when the fuel gauge is reading what it reads now - just above the red reserve.

I seem to remember reading that someone did a test when I got my first Corrado ('98) on the bigger tanks, and got 72litres in from absolutely empty... The tank is actually a 70 litre tank, not 15 Gallons 'cos it's a metric car, not imperial, which is why the halfway mark is 8 gallons and the marking's don't line up with any scale you can actually understand! :roll: :lol:

Filled mine up last night and got 56.69 litres in it and the needle was just above the red when I filled up. I'd also got 331miles out of the tank at that point.

I recently emptied a tank of fuel on my VR6, all 15 Gallons and made 436 miles from the tank but this was all on the motorway. My Lamda probe broke after that! Very wierd!

I seem to remember reading that someone did a test when I got my first Corrado ('98) on the bigger tanks, and got 72litres in from absolutely empty... The tank is actually a 70 litre tank, not 15 Gallons 'cos it's a metric car, not imperial, which is why the halfway mark is 8 gallons and the marking's don't line up with any scale you can actually understand! :roll: :lol:

Ahh cunning. Would have been more useful if they left the scale in litres :roll: