Sign in to follow this  
theRuler

show me your tweeters

I am gonna run components up front (5.25 in the doors, plus tweeters) a la some good advice sought here.

anyways i read that the tweeters need to be near to the main speakers. so where are you guys putting them tweeters?

any pics?

i'd like to leave the speakers in the dash still run from the headunit

aswell as the rear 6 x 4s.

.:. thanks .:.

The tweeters need to ideally be in line with your ears as they produce the most directional sound. The position of the tweeters in the dash gives quite a good sound stage as the sound then bounces off the windscreen directly into your ears. Other people have tried other things, but IMHO I like the car to look standard and don't want tweeters hanging of this that and the other bit of trim :)

You will need to do some hacking to the mounting disks for the tweeters to get yours to fit and you'll also need to find somewhere to put the crossover that comes with your components (the standard setup doesn't have a crossover, just a little capacitor to filter out the LF from the tweeter).

And before you ask, the wiring goes from the HU to the tweeter, then down to the door speakers.

I am putting my tweeters In my door cards as we speak, along with Audioscape speaker enclosures. I did this in my last car (mk2 gti) and it worked very well.

I'm using flush-angle mount holders that came with the tweeters, in the EW switch position (on early door cards) pointing up towards head/ear level, should look very neat.

i'll post some pics when they're done.

And before you ask, the wiring goes from the HU to the tweeter, then down to the door speakers.

took the :?: out of my mouth

thanks guys

The tweeters need to ideally be in line with your ears as they produce the most directional sound.

hmmm yes and no. the kickwells are good as they give the most distance from your ears to equalise the path lengths. you would think that this would have all the sound coming from the floor but actually can give a really nice stage.

having them on the dash brings them closer to your ears thus emphasising the shorter path to the right tweeter. but its easier to get a wide flat stage.

in short there is no RIGHT place to put them. when doing an install its common practice to stick the tweeters on long cable and blutak to move them around a lot before making a decision.

personally id whack them in the OE position - easiest all round :)

The tweeters need to ideally be in line with your ears as they produce the most directional sound.

hmmm yes and no. the kickwells are good as they give the most distance from your ears to equalise the path lengths. you would think that this would have all the sound coming from the floor but actually can give a really nice stage.

having them on the dash brings them closer to your ears thus emphasising the shorter path to the right tweeter. but its easier to get a wide flat stage.

in short there is no RIGHT place to put them. when doing an install its common practice to stick the tweeters on long cable and blutak to move them around a lot before making a decision.

personally id whack them in the OE position - easiest all round :)

Aye, I'll go with that explanation too :) :lol:

There's a picture of my door cards with the tweeter installed on the Audioscape website.

After they installed it, they ran their Real Time Analyser, which meausers frequency response and reproduction (I think), and it gave quite a flat trace (which is good apparently) 8) .

I'd put the tweeters in the door cards, as close as possible to the mid's, if you can.

Chris

That's OK if you don't mind cutting holes in your door cards, which are irreplacable new.

I like the sound from the dash mounted tweeters. I've angled them to the centre of the screen and using time alignment, you can push the sound out to the bonnet 8)

I might blutak the tweets to the pods though and see if that helps the sound at all :lol:

i think i may run the tweeters double side taped to the pods.

does anyone make a pod / pocket combo that has provision for a tweeter?

if not, WHY NOT?!?!?!?

the pods are big enough man ;)

making premade housings kinda defeats the purpose too - aiming is the name of the game with tweeters.

Indeed it is..... which is why it's a shame Kef no longer make their UNI-Q car drivers :(

I've heard some good soundstages from kick wells and doors but doesn't quite match dash angling imo.

on my rainbow 3way install i had the 6.5s in the doors, the 4s and 1s in little fibreglass kickpods. the sound was unreal. bar a little lacking on the far pass side it was perfect. scored real high on iasca sq test too :)

it sounds silly to put the tweets down there but you really CANT tell.

Oooh a 3 way! Difficult to get right in a car, so well done there mate :wink:

I'll have a play with the tweets in the pods then..... but I just wanted to keep everything stock looking from outside, hence the stock tweeter postiions and acoustic cloth over the mids.

i think to be fair the door pods arent the place. mine were buried as far away as poss in the kickwells to expend the path lengths as much as possible. and i didnt use TA either ;)

for the price of some blutak tho ;)