Sign in to follow this  
TomB

Can anyone give me a formula...

...for modifying the value of a car above average mileage? A friend of mine said they'd seen a formula in What Car? or the like but I can't track it down despite searching... The reason I ask is related to the insurance company's offer. They say that the car is worth £3650 with an 'average' of 80,000 miles (according to Glass' guide). Their engineer has modified this to £2500 due to the high mileage of the car (161,000).

With them having tried to get me to accept an offer of £2,000 on 2 occasions now (and by lying to me on the second occasion) I just want to make sure the offer is fair before I accept it. I was trying for £3,000 tbh as I can't find a replacement for £2.5K.... Car was a 2.0l 16v 1995 N reg.

If anyone has access to Glass' guide and can point me in the right direction for the price stated I'd be grateful as well.

Cheers,

Tom

I would tell them that mileage is not important on a car of that age and the overall condition is what should be assessed to get a value of the car!

Get some comparison values off the autotrader and if you have done any work to your car, produce SOME :wink: receipts for the work and the parts. Anything you can do to show that you had lots of money in the car will lend weight to your argument that it is worth more and that you have looked after it.

Who hasn't seen a low mileage car of any kind that is completely worn out. A big mileage, well maintained car is going to be better to run, than one that has dribbled around town for 10 years.

I bought a mk3 Golf 16V that had been clocked down to 80K from 160. You wouldn't know to look at it. It's not mint body wise but when I got the printout from VW it has had lots of money spent on it by the previous owners.

Failing the above, try to get it back. Tell them you'll take the 2000 AND the car. Assuming you have room to break it. When it's all gone get on the case for replacement. Have they taken it away or do you still have access to it? It's never a good idea to have them removed from the scene by 'an approved' recovery company. Bits always go missing while in storage and nobody knows anything about it.

As for the formula they are probably using £100 per 10K over the average and then chipping you to 2000 hoping that you'll just roll over.

Gavin

Cheers for the replies gents. The car is destined only for a scrapyard unfortunately, as it's a category B write-off (although I WILL find out what scrapyard), therefore any offer has to be monetary only. I've already sent them copies of reciepts and photos of the car just before the crash (after about 2.5 hours of washing, polishing etc!).

My only problem is that I have already rejected their initial offer of £2K, and their follow up letter that said they wouldn't increase it, so I'm finally at an offer of £2.5K. If I reject this one, then my case will be reviewed for a final decision, which is conducted independent of the Insurance company, and whose decision I have to accept.

Supercharged, have you seen that anywhere in writing (eg. What Car, Parkers etc)?

Cheers,

Tom

If you stick to a "formula" you will wind up back at that £2k figure. Don't even go down that road. Real market values of Corrados are higher than the books say, ANY of the books. And mileage is less important on these cars than other types. You're wasting your time looking for a formula. Just prove your "value" point from similar cars, but try to be reasonable: if you send 'em a folder full of £3k cars with 120k miles on, expect yours to not fetch £3k from the insurance, much as you would like to think..

£2,500 and keeping the car and not paying the storage costs seems the best from a bad angle...

the back of a glasses guide or a cap black book would give the higher milage values you want,but dont expect it to be good news as they punish the cars values to death.

from a car for sale page :

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16866

the guide slams it, but then again it slams all Corrado's to a pulp. If i told you an N-reg VR6 with 76k and a full service history and in good nic was worth £2500 to the trade, i think we'd all be confused, and you'd be forming an orderly queue if I took one's in for that money, even if I through a couple of grand on em they'd still be the ultimate steal.

Tom,the only daft thing I can think of telling them is to see if they can find you a like for like car for £2.5k

cos I seriously doubt they could

Roy

Supercharged, have you seen that anywhere in writing (eg. What Car, Parkers etc)?

Actually, I think it does say something along those lines in the parkers guide for older (10year+) cars...

i was given £2885 for my Cat B write off...1.8 16v J plated with 97k on the clock and all history/reciepts....just keep fighting. :wink: