Storm

How to convert an Auto to a Manual

We really need some advice

We are planning to convert an auto to manual. Hubby went and bought a N reg Passat VR6 on the advice of his mate a mechanic who has had a MK1 Golf show car so knows his VWs, (or should do!!). His advice was that the donor parts from the Passat would work for the Corrado. However after reading this thread I am not convinced, and now neither is he!!

I don't want to sound thick but what it ETKA that is referred to that seems to list part numbers and where can we view this.

Also, the fact that the two cars have a different engine code, the Passat is AAA and the Corrado is ABV I guess is not a good start!!

If anyone can give us some advice it would be much appreciated. If needs be we'll stick a years ticket on the Passat and resell it, we'll get back what we paid, its just the time its wasting and the fact that all our money is now tied up in that!!

Right, i've given in - the auto box has to go :( if i want a 24v. Just want to know how long to allocate to the auto to manual conversion though. Can it be done in 3-4 days?

which other gearbox will be suitable for the engine? I am just thinking of a newer VW box, and there are quite a few available in Ebay.

I'm also thinking longer term wrt the engine swop to the 24v, presumably on that fits the ABV will also fit the 24v too?

small points to note - if you have completed this swop you may want to remove the old auto wiring. To get the looms from the right hand side of the engine bay (by the auto box), you will need to pull out the grommet to the side of the abs unit. You wull also need to cut off the two pin and 6 pin connectors to feed these through the grommet.

The loom runs from behind the airbox (mine has aircon so on-aircon may be a bit different) and down past the abs unit. There is a releasable cable tie in teh corner, so use a small screwdriver to release the tab and free the auto loom. This then continues under the front seats by the cross memeber section. There is a wires (white with grey chaser) with a black oversheath that connects to the block behind the centre column on the ground. You will need to keep this wire if you do an obd2 conversion. This goes to pin 6 on the auto ecu multi connector. Cut this off, or de-pin it and remove. The remainder of the loom goes to the fusebox and there are a few connectors that you need to remove. These are shown below. There is also a 0.5mm red wire that needs to come out from a black 2-pin connector and has the starter wire next to it.

Depin this one.

There are a couple of earth wires connected to the side earthing plate behind the RHS vent. Disconnect these. When you pull the cables out, remember that the locking arm of the connector will snag on any wire it comes near! Very frustrating so take your time and bring a huge box of patience!!

Then you can pull all the old loom out.

Hope that makes sense.

Has anybody who has completed this conversion still got the auto gear shift trim surround? Mines got a poor DIY fix on it and I'd love a better one!