Sign in to follow this  
julesz

Carbon Canister

If i was to remove the carbon canister on my '92 G60, what would i do with the pipes left over. Ive heard they need rerouting back into the airbox or something....

Well I've done this. First I relocated my charcoal canister so that I could get more cool air into the air filter area and then I elminated a lot of vacume lines most of which were for the charcoal canister. But I kept the tube from the gas tank line and still have it plumbed into the charcoal canister and then the large hose is disconected and the canister is able to vent right into the air filter. I suppose you could just route the fuel tank vent hose to the air filter area and skip the canister. But I've heard it can get smelly. I've only had my charcoal canister vented to the air filter setup for 511 miles and I noticed no problems. But then again that 511miles was done in about 3 days while breaking in a charger and then it was off to the track where I broke the tranny

Looking at fitting my induction kit tomorrow which requires the relocation of the cc.....think i'm just going to remove it altogether (or failing that just don't bother having it feed back into the induction and just let it vent to atmosphere).

Regarding removal of the CC. I have removed this item completely and the only hose to re-locate is the fuel tank vent line. This is simply connected into the air intake system to avoid fuel smells and to safely burn off emissions. The other concern is to blank off the outlet left open on the throttle valve assembly. I have run this arrangement for over a year without any adverse side effects.

Cheers John,

Not quite sure how I'm going to plumb the fuel tank vent line back into the induction but I'm sure I'll find a way round it.

Vent it through the hole in the inner wing Tom it's just about the right size for the job. I'm hopefully picking up my new breather pot tomorrow so if I get that then carbon cannister will be coming straight off and all the hosing that goes with it!!!

Sorry to be controversial, but i must say not keen on fuel vapours being vented in this way. Take the time to do a proper job, VW did.