Sign in to follow this  
C-mann

Engine Noise

Having problems with my Vr6 engine. The engine is making a ticking noise. I was told it was the tap-its. Changed them. Noise still there. Then told the problem could be the valve guides. Is this worth changing the valve guides or would it be better with an engine overhaul? Also would thicker oil work as a solution for the moment and what's recommended?

It's done about 150000 miles. I don’t believe it’s the chain because the noise quietens done a little once the engines warmed up although it doesn't completely disappear. I also hear the going rate for a engine overhaul is about £1K which has to be the last resort.

mines done 150k too (well 149k)

and it has some rattles. i think the main rattle is the timing chain on mine!

hows your gearbox doing? is it crunchy yet? mine is :(

No crunchy gear box yet. I've been pretty lucky so far. Touch wood.

Although the revs are a bit dodgy. I couldn't expect anything less from a K plate.

Is yours still crunchy after putting Redline in it?

It'll cost £400 to £500 rebuild that box..... but it's worth it though if you plan on keeping the car for a while.

As for the engine noises, better get the chain tensioners inspected to be on the safe side. It means stripping the manifolds etc off unfortunately. If it's tappets, not too much of a problem or expense.

Is yours still crunchy after putting Redline in it?

i havent done it yet. its rained every weekend, and i have no indoors space to work on my car :(

i really need to change the oil too :(

i'm a just have to get drenched :(

:(

I've changed my oil twice this year and I think I've been putting to thin an oil in. Due to the age of the car I think I need thicker oil. I just don’t know what to put in.

It's done about 150000 miles. I don’t believe it’s the chain because the noise quietens done a little once the engines warmed up although it doesn't completely disappear.

That does sound like the chains then as the tension increases as the oil pressure builds up... :roll:

The oil pressure decreases as the car warms up....

But I know what you're trying to say.

If it's the chains, it'll rattle all the time though, warm or cold, no difference. Point is the tensioner can't extend far enough to maintain tension on the chain.