Sign in to follow this  
Oakley

What is a Big-Bore VR6 throttle body

http://www.auto-amd.com/corrado.asp

4th item down. Click on it to see the difference.

The MK3 OBD1 VR6 golf always benefitted more from this mod as it had a restrictive throttle, but the Corrado one is bigger and the gains are therefore smaller. You basically get a slightly larger throttle butterfly and it's all smoothed off, including the butterfly spindle. It allows more air into the engine.

On it's own with a remap you'll get a small difference but it's best saved for when/if you do the VGI and 268 cams.

it's a larger diameter throttle body. It'll allow more air to flow into the engine which will increase the fuelling as well and thus give you slightly more power... 8) how much more, I have no idea on a VR6 though... :?

i had a large throttle body on my first mk1 golf.

it had one tennis ball sized chamber instead of 2 smaller ones. it made the car super fast, in conjunction with the modded head and cam. the speedo needle would go right round to the fuel guage!

I see, so there would be no point in just modding the bore, there should be other mods to really take advantage of this, I also assume that my insurance would go up as well?

i had a large throttle body on my first mk1 golf.

it had one tennis ball sized chamber instead of 2 smaller ones. it made the car super fast, in conjunction with the modded head and cam. the speedo needle would go right round to the fuel guage!

That'll be the Weber Redline Firebreather I keep on going on about then! :D 8)

Excellent piece of kit! 8)

it made the car bananas. it was on the car back in 1993, and it didnt look new then.

the car also had:

twin square headlight kit

vinyl roof kit

nice.

EDIT**

i had thought the throttle body was off an Audi, or a porsche that had a similar manifold.

i know a lot of the parts are interchangable

i also know that 944 front wishbones are Mk1 golf wishbones.

i also know that 944 front wishbones are Mk1 golf wishbones.

They're similar, but not exactly the same :wink:

The Porsche ones are alloy and a different shape, but the mounting points are the same.

Do you remember that white MK1 from Greece? Had ATS cups, Porsche 944 alloy wishbones, 16V (turbo I think?) and lots of other goodies. It was ground breaking in it's day....around 1992/3 IIRC.....

There's even a poster of it on Stealth's office wall :lol:

yup, Kev, I remember that one... was a car I wanted my Golf to aspire to be one day... 8)