Sign in to follow this  
mariovr6

gear linkage prob

my vr6 seems to have a problem with the gears

ive heard v6 are prone to linkage problems so wondering whats whats?

mine doesnt go into 2nd very easy its like i gotta do it slowly?? it dont grind

how would i know if its linkage ? clutch? or gearbox problem??

the other gears aint to bad fairly easy to get into just that second gear!!! i know if i put it in second it does push slightly against the aircon pipe

sorry let me try and put that in english!

how do i know if its a gearbox problem or gearlinkage?

its hard to get into second like ive gotta put it in 2nd slowly and carful but the other gears dont seem to bad!

does it crunch into second?

if so, its the box i'm afraid. second gear always takes a mauling, as thats the gear you SLAM into when you are on a "power run"

if it were the clutch, then 1st and reverse would suffer most.

Well...

It's a cable change box, which means that even with no appreciable wear in the linkage you can have a truly horrible shift action.

This can be fixed with some simple adjustment - an easy DIY job provided you're patient.

Before telling you about that though, how old is the gearbox mount? If that's shot you can have a perfectly adjusted linkage and still have a terrible shift action.

Describing the way in which it's bad will help with diagnosis.

well

it dont crunch? not unless its mymistake!! its like ive got to slowly aline it into second.....

a while back there was a funny feeling when pulling off like the mounts might ave gone but that seems to have gone now im getting a knock in the steering at times instead.....

yup, I'm with Mike here... check the engine and gearbox mounts and change if dead. Also swapping the gear oil for some nice new Redline MT oil will make a nice change too... 8)

I have a similar problem. But there's something I've noticed just recently... If I rest my hand gently on the gear-knob while driving along I can feel a rhythmical vibration come and go, its very light, but pulsates on and off about every second.

Do you have this mariovr6, i wonder if its related to mounts or something...?

I've tried adjusting the cable linkage thing at the box end, but couldn't get it to make a difference. (Don't think i made a good job of it tbh..)

ive not noticed that ?? not tried it will do!!

but there is something strange.... im not sure if its me being para but you can feel allsorts!!! gear changing into second is a task on my car !! it goes in every time but it takes a sec or 2 though i slammed it in yesterday n it went in ok but still like forcing it in