Sign in to follow this  
Tonygti

Should I sell my Golf GTI and get a Corrado?

Hi,

This is my first time here.....so be gentle!

I currently have a Bright Blue Metallic MK2 Golf GTI 8v. I am a big V Dub fan and fancy a change of car (I’ve had the Golf a few years and getting itchy feet). The only car i think of that’s worth selling the Golf for is a Corrado (probably a 2.0l 16V).

I understand this is a Corroado forum so you are all going to be "Pro" Coarrado, but i really want to know is it worth changing, when on paper they seem pretty similar.

All options and thoughts would are appreciated.

Cheers.

Tone.

I had a MK2 8V GTI for 2 years, and like you got itchy feet. I knew I wanted to stay VW so the Corrado is the "only" real choice if your looking for something rare and fast. I went straight for the VR and will never look back. They are awesome cars!! 8)

Performance won't feel as nice in a 2.0 16v Corrado when compared to your Golf so don't expect to be blown away by its pace. But if you want the same kind of VW quality as you are used to, and want to upgrade from the Golf but stay in the same 'circle', I would say there is nothing better. The Corrado is pretty rare on the roads so is often a talking point - gets lots of admirers etc.

But if performance is your only desire out of this - stick with the Golf - you'll be paying a huge premium for not a lot more pace on the Rado. Either that or budget for a Corrado VR6 instead :)

Cheers for the comments guys.

Like you say Jim I want to stay within the "circle", but feel like I need a change. I'm not totally hung up on performance (if I was i would have got a GTI 16v) but I do like a bit of poke.

This is the ultimate in stupid questions but I’m going to ask it anyway, where is the best place to start looking for a good (hopefully standard) Corrado? I don't mind paying good money for the right car, but I don't want to pay over the odds for a modded car, which is then going to cost me more in insurance.

Thanks again!

Our 'For Sale' section is a pretty good start ;)

Failing that its Autotrader time - and you'll need patience as there are a lot of thrashed examples out there judging by some of the experiences of our most recent Corrado owning members.

There seem to be a lot more VR6's for sale than 2.0l 16v's, which is some what annoying. Also I have read a coupe of things which surprise me.

1) VR6's need a head re-build at 100K

2) VR6's do about 28 MPG

I'm not sure why a VR6 would need a re-build at 100K, as most people joke that a VW has only just been broken in at 100K. Also the book MGP for my Golf is 28, so that would imply the direct running costs would be fairly similar, which is very surprising.

Please tell me if I am wrong or if i have been mislead.

VR's will do around 33MPG on a very steady motorway run. Expect that figure to drop significantly around town.. theres no way a 2.9 litre 12v V6 engine is going to produce anywhere near the economy of a 1.8 8v 4 pot engine, but considering its size and the power it puts out, its not bad really!

VR's don't automatically need a head rebuilt at 100k - its not uncommon for them to start getting tired around then, but some will go on way beyond that before needing any work. Just don't expect it to be indestructable as it will inevitably need some work at some point or other in the time you own it.

And running costs are just higher anyway - the Corrado VR6 is insurance group 18 and prices for parts from the VW dealers are awful. But its the price you pay for a Corrado I guess :)

I've had tonnes of MK2s, including a stupidly fast 16V Turbo and there is just no comparison between a Corrado and a MK2. My VR would give the turbo a good run for it's money and it's a lot quieter, smoother, way better looking and handles a damn site better.

Buy a Corrado and make sure it's a G60 or VR as the 16V Corrados are SLOOOW as they're a lot heavier than the MK2.

You can get get a valver up to some good power though with some choice mods but it will never have the midrange grunt of a VR or fettled G60.

K

Kev is right. My first C was a 2.016v, and compared with the VR6 I currently own it was NO CHEAPER to run. Insurance is plain ridiculous (Grp17 16V vs Grp18 for a VR6), either way it's not cheap but for the difference you're looking at G60 or VR6 is the way to go if the asking price is within means!

I guess it depends on how hard the car has been driven, a rebuild at 100k is fairly soon, mine was rebuilt at 134k. I had a MK2 8V & 16V, in a funny sort of way I actually preferred the 8V, more low down torque. I can only recommend a VR6, I easily get as much mpg as in the 8V, it's so much more effortless so you don't feel the need to drop down gears as much.

I actually preferred the 8V, more low down torque.

They do not have more low down torque than a 16V mate :wink:

the 16V develops more torque throughout the whole rev range than an 8V does,

sorry to sound pedantic, but ive heard this arguement so many times, and it just aint true :)

Yea true, but the 8v feels quicker in low revs, similar to a 205 1.9 It just became a bit tiring in the 16v, having to take it beyond 4k every time you wanted to make it shift. But I'm sure the 16v was the quicker car if you were to take it to a track. :wink:

Yea true, but the 8v feels quicker in low revs, similar to a 205 1.9 It just became a bit tiring in the 16v, having to take it beyond 4k every time you wanted to make it shift. But I'm sure the 16v was the quicker car if you were to take it to a track. :wink:

yup :wink:

As a former Golf owner i think i'll add my two pennies in to this.

I had a 1.3 Golk Mk2 for 6 months then a 1.6 Golf Mk2 for about a year - they are excellent reliable sold cars - but they are nothing compared to a Corrado. A golf is lighter - it may be quicker through the gears - but Corrados are not slow.

I have a 16V Corrado - owned it for about 6 months - it may feel a bit slow below 4000RPM - but above that the 16V engine doesnt hang around. I use my Corrado as a daily runner - i've racked up the millage - about 8,000 miles since i've had it - and its given me very little engine trouble. Now on to fuel consumptiom - i get better fuel consumption in my Corrado than i got on my 1.6 golf! This is cos the 1.6 is particularly inefficient - but the 16V C is not bad on fuel - i can get it up to about 37mpg etc without too much hassle.

For me the thing that makes the Corrado in a different league is the HANDLING. I cannot stress this enough - get in a Corrado and throw it round a few bends and you'll be hooked! The driviing position is more fun too - and you will get lots more little bonuses like full electrics - adjustable steering - and that famous active spoiler :)

I picked up my Corrado for just under £1000 and ive loved every second of driving it [apart from when i broke the gear linkage!] - i would never go back to the mk2 golf. Also the VW Corrado is a part of motoring history to me - its a rare classic - and that adds to the appeal for me - with the 16V the running costs are low and the engine is all mk2 golf so getting parts of it are not bad :) if you have a good experience with the 16V u can upgrade yourself to a G60 or a VR6 8)

I have to agree with CorradoWannabe,

I've had a Mk1GTI, Mk2 GTi, Mk3 GTi plus a Corrado 16v before my G60. Corrado's are far better handling straight out of the box than a Golf.

Admittedly the Golf GTIs are quicker than a 16v Corrado due to it's weight. If you want a little bit better poke then you have to go to a G60 or a VR6.

I'd recommend a Corrado just for comfort, style and to be different!

Still one of my all time favourite looking motors :D

OOOPPs,

sorry for the double post, bloody works internet connection

Time for the internet at work. isn't there a war on?

Gavin

Mate of Phil Sharpe

I used to have a mk2 golf gti and changed for a 1.8 16v Corrado, was kinda dissapointed with the go in it too start with, gettin used too given it a bootin as opposed to the golf 8vs low down power took a lotta gettin used too.

Although it was so much more rarer and superior to the golf its a great car and handling is great but after a while needed more power and was easier to buy a vr6 then start messin around with the 16v engine.

I think a Corrado is one of only a v few cars that i would sell a mk2 gti for, keepin in the same "circle" price range etc.

Tonygti, I'll be selling my 2L 16v come January if your interested.

It's a 95M Classic Green with 82K on the clock.

Dave

I've got to think of my family.................................after me of course!

Oh yes, I'll be upgrading for sure, I ain't done with Corrado's yet and I can honestly say there's no other car I've rather have.