Sign in to follow this  
dannyrado

Who does a tidy big brake kit for a vr6?

Who does a tidy big brake kit for a vr6? I've got 17" wheels on it, seen the brembo kits but they seem a bit pricey?!? Also what size are the standard disks?

Cheers fellas. :D

Just to put a mod's seal on it that Joe's not joking with that link!!! :lol: It IS an excellent site who sell f-ing big brakes! :lol:

How come the mk3 golf front disc is bigger than the VR. What version of golf is that off.

Will/does the 288 make much difference over the 280. Always fancied brembo but they are just to fecking expensive. Like the sound of slightly bigger brakes without the need for modding.

Timo.

The golf (gti,16v,vr6) brakes were upgraded in '96 just as production of the corrado stopped. The disks are slightly bigger and thicker, but the caliper is a lot bigger and houses pads of about double the size. The calipers are still used on vag cars with the 288mm setup today.

The carriers and disks have to come from the mk3 due to the offset on them, pads calipers and hoses from any 288 setup.

They are a vast improvement over standard, more bite and much more fade resistant. After 3 and a 1/2 hours at Knockhill, my pedal was softer, but I could still get the abs kicking in.

Close...

1995-on Golf VR6 has 288mm brakes that are a straight swap.

The exact same parts are used on:

Golf 1995-98

Vento 1995-98

Passat 1994-2003 (use the disks for the Mk3 Golf with these though)

CoxyLaad - your brakes are off a 4motion... :p

The carriers and disks have to come from the mk3 due to the offset on them, pads calipers and hoses from any 288 setup.

That statement made me panic, I've a set waiting to go on, from a Mk4. Etka states Mk3 and 4 are the same carrier; as well as passat, and a range of Audi's. I am reading ETKA the wrong way?

A MK4 servo and Master Cylinder is a worth upgrade too because even with the 288s on a Corrado VR the pedal is still mushy.

When I drove my mate's MK4 recently, I nearly went through the windscreen so I shall look at the mod from more than just a caliper and disc change point of view when I get round to it on mine.

The same 288mm calipers and carriers are used on a lot of the MK4 Golf range - the 312 4 motion brakes use the same caliper and pad, just a different carrier

Kev - the master cylinder may be tired on yours, unfortunately I dont beleive that there is a MK4 master cylinder that will fit, as the VR is a specific type, the mounting holes are not horizontal, they are at an angle - I looked into this in detail for my other VW's Brembo brakes. Pity the master cylinder for a VR is circa £120 :cry:

I believe that the fitment of the servo is completely different as well......

Kev - the master cylinder may be tired on yours, unfortunately I dont beleive that there is a MK4 master cylinder that will fit, as the VR is a specific type, the mounting holes are not horizontal, they are at an angle - I looked into this in detail for my other VW's Brembo brakes. Pity the master cylinder for a VR is circa £120 :cry:

I believe that the fitment of the servo is completely different as well......

Ah poo.... yeah it could be tired and the calipers have had a fair few bleeds, so the MC seals will have seen plenty back and forth pressure, not good. Oh well....I'm not paying £120 for a new VR MC so I'll just stick the 312s on and see how I get on.

Cheers for that info though, very useful.

Not paying the £120, hmm thats what I thought as well

You need to find a late GTI MK3 or a VR, got to be post 96 from memory.

The good news is that you can sell on your 280mm calipers and carriers to a Corrado non G60 or MK2 Golf owner as they are a bolt on upgrade for those guys

That statement made me panic, I've a set waiting to go on, from a Mk4. Etka states Mk3 and 4 are the same carrier; as well as passat, and a range of Audi's. I am reading ETKA the wrong way?

As a few have mentioned, my mistake, sorry. :oops:

Calipers and carriers are the same, just the disks that are different.

The same 288mm calipers and carriers are used on a lot of the MK4 Golf range - the 312 4 motion brakes use the same caliper and pad, just a different carrier

What sort of price would a pair of those carriers be?

£90 each for the carriers! Blimey.... I'm not even going to ask how much new MK4/TT calipers are then :!:

There's a breaker near me that has a load of MK4s and 3s....will have to pop down there at the weekend and have a browse.

Im a new member in your site,

Pic of my rado after installing the big brake kit

radobeach.jpg?dc=4675462059295199844

and the close up

DSCN3195.JPG?dc=4675470194036559243

I hope you like it, let me know what u think ?