Sign in to follow this  
M777CUSGTI

1st Mod for a 1.816V

Alrite guys,

Ok so the honey moon period is over with my C now and i want to start breaking her in on the engine mod side of things. :lol:

So whats the best thing for me to do 1st off?

does it matter in what order i do the mods...i.e Exhaust then Filter or Vice versa???

any help would be appreciated.

Cheers ears :wink:

My standard advice is ...

Unless there's easy power to extract may as well just save your pennies.

you can help it breathe a bit easier with a new exhaust and a panel-filter combined with drilling a few holes in the wing-side of the sirbox. Theres actually quite a few mods you can do, flusted on here's got his up to about 160bhp by changing cams and various other things, but TBH i agree with VR6, if you're hankering after power, save the pannys for a VR, thats the decision i've (finally) come to!

- edit -

as far as i know the order you do the exhaust/filter doesnt matter, but you'll get the best results from the two combined.

First thing to do is a bloody good service... replace EVERYTHING that wears out during service intervals and the standard Corrado weak points while you're in there so you KNOW they've been done... blue temp sender, rotor arm, dizzy cap, cam belt, cam tensioner, P/S belt, plugs, oil, oil filter, oil/white grease all the bits wot move in the sunroof, spoiler and door hinges, then sort out all of the flanges that are known to leak and change the coolant while you're at it... Won't cost you a huge amount and will mean that all of the weak spots on the engine should be sorted for a good few years... 8) Hell, for the price of it, I'd also change the big end and crank shells and possibly even the piston rings too! I'd even think about getting the head re-conditioned with new seals, guides and seats just to make sure the engine's as good as it can be.... but that may just be me... ;) :oops: :lol:

After this lot, you will have an engine which purrs after you've had a good tune up done... 8)

Then change the brake flexies for braded ones, replace the brake fluid with DOT5.1, make sure you're running a good quality disks and pads combination, check out your suspension and make sure all the bushes are spot on and that the dampers (shocks) and springs are good too... Then look at your tyres and make sure you've got 4 identical make/model tyres on which are in good condition and get the tracking and camber set up professionally so that you know it's spot on.... 8)

Get used to the change that that little lot makes, THEN start looking for engine mods... ;) 8)

IMHO, Too many people want to jump straight into the modifying things route before they actually get the car running how it was supposed to when it left the factory... Having driven (and owned) a mint 1.8 16V 7 years ago, and having driven one recently, the difference is unreal... Get your car into the best condition it can be first before you start changing things and I will guarantee that you'll end up with a much bigger grin on your face for much longer than if you just start modifying the engine without sorting the rest of the car first... ;) 8)

Oh, and a K&N filter panel should (again IMHO) be one of the first servicing items you buy for a Corrado... ;)

Henny, any ideas on a price for that little lot? I've had the 'back to how it left the factory' idea in my head for a while but being mechanically inept I had no idea what would need to be done! .... a problem you just solved! Could do with the tappets/followers doing to, the rattle is starting to get on my t1ts!

Henny, any ideas on a price for that little lot? I've had the 'back to how it left the factory' idea in my head for a while but being mechanically inept I had no idea what would need to be done! .... a problem you just solved! Could do with the tappets/followers doing to, the rattle is starting to get on my t1ts!

Take the the sump off and make sure the oil pickup on the pump is clear. Any crap in there will hamper oil pressure and may make the tappets rattle. Not a 100% fix but a sump gasket and oil change is much cheaper than 16 tappets!!

Gavin

I managed to get 162bhp for under £500 but i do my own labour.

Give it a good service,including the k&n panel filter as stated before then you can think about cams.

If your anywhere near stealth racing,they can get about 150bhp from a standard valver just by tweaking the fuelling etc they set mine up after the mods i did

sounds like a plan h100vw, and sounds logical too since they stop rattling as the oil warms up (more viscous and flowing past the crap better?)

Thanks for the brilliant resonse guys :wink:

very in depth by henny :lol: but MUCH appreciated.

im actually goin to print out that response and use it as a rough guide :wink:

Thanks again :)