Sign in to follow this  
Rams

Whats the correct RPM on idle for a VR6?

I will check mine later, does it affect your engine if the car idles to low / high?

It should idle around 900.

If it idle's too high/low, how is it going to cause damage?

It's not a tuning or mod either so i'll put this into general.

I didnt say it would cause damage...... I was just making sure that it didnt affect the engine.

Apologies for putting it in the wrong section.

Sorry - I was just interpreting the 'damage' bit. I don't see how it will affect the engine other than it idling too high or low or erratically. Clean out the ISV is normally one of the first things to try.

What does yours idle at then?

No probs re wrong section - it's what we're here for ;)

I haventy checked mine as yet, I will do it shortly, I do recall it being lower than that anyhow.

I havent cleaned my iSV yet, it seems fine but there is no harm in giving it the once over.

I picked up my new engine mount in my lunch hour and just wondered if it was the same concept as my previous mk2 Golf?

The early corrados have oil filled front mounts, so mine should be more straight forward if there was ever any further complications when fitting oil filled mounts?

My VR6 idles happily at 700 after just having it tuned and put on a rolling road at a bosch garage. 900 is high for a V6 isn't it?

Yeah.. I figured 900 was quite high as well!

My mates VR used to idle very nicely at 600RPM...

Idle speed from haynes says between 650 and 750 rpm, which is what mine sits at.

It should idle around 900.

If it idle's too high/low, how is it going to cause damage?

It's not a tuning or mod either so i'll put this into general.

Sorry mate that is definately wrong!!!

VW state the VR6 engine should idle between 640rpm - 680rpm

Isnt there a little line on the rev counter that the needle should point at? Mine points directly at it... :D

My point at the start of the topic was.....

If the idle is higher or lower than what VW state, what difference dowes it make? Is it kust that the higher the idle the more fuel you use or what?

If anyone knows that would be great. I am assured that there is no detremental damage by the idle being adjusted incorrectly!

I think if the idle is too low it will be lumpy and you feel the car shaking about a bit, if its too high you use more petrol at idle.

If a VR6 idles too high, OBD might log an engine speed sensor (G28) error since it is the combined signals of the cam position, engine speed and throttle potentiometer sensors that govern the idle valve (N71). If the idle valve sees implausible signals, the control circuits lock it fully open to enable engine starting (engine wouldn't start if valve was locked shut) and is part of the 'get you home' program. When the isv is fully open, idle is not stabilised and therefore the engine could hunt and idle too quickly.

If not that, then your throttle stop may have been tampered with. 900 is too high as 6 cyl engines don't need as many revs as a 4 cyl engine to maintain a good idle (extra pistons equal more inertia and better balance). I would plug your engine into a diagnostics machine first to ensure all the senders are OK.

Kev

94 VR6