Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

Removing G-Lader

2 questions here:

Removing charger:

Started this today and was getting through it quickly (for me ;)), but due to a few lengthy issues with rounded rusty bolts and a stubborn silencer box I didn't get it all finished before the sun went down. Got everything removed bar the hex bolts holding the charger in place. I've taken a few photos and just for clarification can someone please re-post them marking out what I need to remove to get the damn thing out. Positive I know which ones but always best to get advice from someone whos an old hand at it.

Charger Seals:

After taking the outlet pipe off and the pipe joining to the airbox, I've noticed some oil inside and around the openings into the charger. I assume this means the seals are either going or have already gone? The charger is going to be serviced this week (as soon as i get daylight to remove it) but does this mean there could be some serious damage done?

Cheers for any help and advice :)

sounds like the a seal or seals have gone. Nothing to worry about really. Obviously you're getting it serviced so there's no need for that to be recommended.

I had the same with my charger. Lots of grey oily crap coming out. When I got the charger off and opened it, yes it was quite dirty inside and took some cleaning, but the condition of it was spot on.

The oil in it could also be coming from the crankcase breather through the boost return. So the seals might be alright!

Hope that helps

Timo.

Took mine off today.. :D

There's 4 allen screws at the air filter end, the 2 at the back - in your picture. There's also the hex bolt just underneath the 2 rear allen screws in your picture. Also be sure to detatch the oil feed & return pipes.

The charger will then work lose & pull out from the pass side. The pulley will pass through the large alloy bracket on the drivers side.. :wink:

Took mine off today.. :D

There's 4 allen screws at the air filter end, the 2 at the back - in your picture. There's also the hex bolt just underneath the 2 rear allen screws in your picture. Also be sure to detatch the oil feed & return pipes.

The charger will then work lose & pull out from the pass side. The pulley will pass through the large alloy bracket on the drivers side.. :wink:

your one might steve... this one wont with it still being standard size...

your one might steve... this one wont with it still being standard size...

I think there'll be a few more swear words before it's off then. My standard pulley was a real pain to get off.

I ended up using an oil filter wrench to hold the pulley, while I unscrewed the centre bolt.

damn, not more swearing ;)

Thanks for the input all. Hopefully the charger will be fine then. Agree on the dipstick tube - tbh all the engine bay needs a damn good clean, but a weekend will only allow so much work at one time.

Steve, to get the serpentine belt off, I slid the tensioner off as suggested by the steps I followed... though I know it could have stayed on had I of had some better tools at hand.

Darren, guess it'll be Tuesday before the charger gets sent down now! Thanks for the help so far though :)

I found it easier to remove the charger bracket on outlet side.... both the uper and lower, undo the 4 bolts on the pulley end then and pull the charger straight out complete with standard pulley.

You will need to get a replacement for the o-ring that lives under the bracket in all the other engines that use that block. Also it is well worth replacing all 10 allen head bolts you undo to get teh charger out - it makes life soooo much easier if it needs to come out again for any reason.

I have attached your pic again, with some excellently drafted guides... :lol:

MSM me if u need a hand...

I found it easier to remove the charger bracket on outlet side.... both the uper and lower, undo the 4 bolts on the pulley end then and pull the charger straight out complete with standard pulley.

You will need to get a replacement for the o-ring that lives under the bracket in all the other engines that use that block. Also it is well worth replacing all 10 allen head bolts you undo to get teh charger out - it makes life soooo much easier if it needs to come out again for any reason.

I have attached your pic again, with some excellently drafted guides... :lol:

MSM me if u need a hand...

by the looks of it he only has one bolt left to undo. pulley off and job done... :lol:

once again, thanks for the help fellas. should have it sorted later today without any issues.

Andy, you're blatently a wasted talent :wink: I want to replace all the bolts I've removed as quite a few of them look pretty worn. Do you know whether the o-ring is something I can get elsewhere other than a dealers?

you only need the o-ring if you take of the bracket as I describe......its only a pound or so from the dealer. I have the part number (twice) in my folder of reciepts.......along with all bolts, should you have any probs. All bolts and o-ring should be less than £20 from vag.