Sign in to follow this  
monVR6

Weitec versus Koni Top Adjustables

Due to daily drive and local speed humps I'm thinking of changing my Weitec suspension for Koni Top Adjustables with H&R springs. Most of my driving is motorway these days so I'm hoping to get something with abit more confort and hump clearance - but still great for a bit of b-roading.

So - will the Konis/springs give me this over the Weitec?? Has anyone experienced both and can give me an opinion??

Also, if I go down this route - if anyone is interested in the Weitec set-up, it will be for sale soon. Thanks in advance.

I've just changed my Weitec kit for a set of FK Königsport [lot's of people checking the spelling around here lately :wink: ] Coilovers, and the ride is quite a bit softer, and not that much higher at all. The shocks in the coilvers are Koni. Also, can adjust them at any time !

Thanks Anubis - that's useful info. So do you think the coilovers give better handling and comfort? I'd definitely like a slightly higher ride - (he said after grating over a speed-hump yet again !!) The Weitec system to me feels as though it gives it's best when really going for it - but maybe feels slightly unmatched between dampers and springs. Did you find that?

How much were yoour coilovers - I think I saw £500ish on here??

Everyone - FKs better than Koni TAs and H&Rs ??

Thanks

I've got the Koni Top adjustable kit. Conventional rather than coilover. It's set on it softest setting and it's just firm enough to corner flat but not rattle your teeth out. It lowers by about 35-40mm.

Everyone - FKs better than Koni TAs and H&Rs ??

There is no right or wrong where suspension is concerned as it is subjective.

The H&R/Koni combo is probably the most compliant of all the kits out there, which is why so many people like them. You get a decent ride quality, decent handling and a sensible drop.

The Konigsports are good too but a little bouncier than the aforementioned.

Yeah, that's about right, although I haven't tested them propperly just yet. The Weitec kit is great, and made the car look awesome, but was a nightmare over speedbumps [which is all that the councils in south London spend their money on]. The gaurd on the cat would regularly scrape on the speedbumps, and I even cracked an oil sump by hitting one too fast. :( The primary reason I've changed is to fit the new wheels....which aren't even on yet :mad:

I got the FK kit from http://www.venommotorsport.com for £590 including next day delivery. The guy there's really helpfull.

The Konigsports are good too but a little bouncier than the aforementioned

I think that's what I want to get away from. The Weitec system doesn't "soak" bumps so well - I presume because it's so firm - which makes it bouncy - even over bumps through roundabouts etc. My old standard suspension used to deal with these quite effectively. If the bounciness of the FKs is similar to that of the Weitec - I think I'll stick to the Koni TA route.

Not so far as I can tell......sure he doesn't mean bouncy as in soft ? There's nothing bouncy about the weitec, it's hard, and sometimes jarring!

I much prefer the traditional McPherson Strut setup for road cars. Coilovers are a waste unless you're constantly altering the ride height to suit different wheels etc...... and some wheels rub on the coilovers too. There's only one real purpose for coillies when you get down to it - and that's for slamming. Stick with suspension travel mate and let it absorb the bumps.

EDIT:- By bouncy I mean the damper's inability to control rebound due to the silly strength of the springs. You really need bump AND rebound adjustments on coilovers and only really expensive ones have that.

Coilovers are a waste unless you're constantly altering the ride height to suit different wheels etc

I totally agree with you here Kev.I had Koni coilovers on my old VR6 once they were on and set I never altered the ride

height.

I am going to go down the route of Koni/H&R or Eibach,I think they give the best combination of looks and handling.

You can also corner weight with coilovers, the handling advantage from that makes the extra £150ish worth it for me.

Mmm. This is going some way to answering my issue - that is, what would be an optimal setup to drop the height without hardeing the ride too much. Collies are a waste of time for me as most of my driving is in town and, like some of you lot we have loads of speedbumps too. Anyone with a soft-ish suspension set-up AND lowered?

If you want ride comfort and handling, look no further than H&R/Koni - simple as that :wink:

Get a Neuspeed rear anti-roll bar aswell and let that do all the roll control work.

My C is as new chassis wise, all new bushes, new rack etc plus Konis and H&Rs and I openly invite anyone to try mine before they buy. You will not be dissapointed :lol:

KEVHAYWIRE How much wonga did you have to part with for your Koni/H&R set up?

I've just paid 114 quid for two rear and 240 quid for 2 front koni's, plus eibach springs (or H&R's) you can add about another 120 quid to the bill.

All in that's £470 ish for my 16v.

A Koni complete kit might be a better price, even if you flog the springs on e-bay and then buy some H&R's instead, seen the kits for 360 quid.

David.

Just interested in some comments on a pair of Konis on ebay - would they be suitable? Details below:

"Koni adjustable strength and height, coil over shock absorbers. They have an open length of of 18" approx and a closed length of 12" approx.

There are eyes both ends but you could easily put a peg on the top end if you can weld."

There's no part number but they're red, which I believe are the stock Koni units. Any expereicne of these? Comments?

Cheers all