Sign in to follow this  
JimSTORM

oil level

just had my oil filter changed a couple of days back, the guy who did it said that he had topped the oil up and then i checked the oil level today and its well over the max limit,

anyone know if this will cause any damage to the engine, or should i just wait and see of it gets burrnt off ?

I'd try and undo the sub plug slightly and drain some off. Think overfilling does damage to the cat (seen a warning sticker somewhere) and could put too much pressure on the seals etc causing leaks.

Bad news, you'll have to syphon it out. Make sure you've not got the car on a slope first.... ;)

1.8 16v don't have cats, so you don't have to worry about that, but it can cause over-pressure problems..

Yeah, and then suck it up (and spit it out) ... ;)

No, I prefer the suggestion of loosening the sump plug slightly, you should be able to get it loose enough to drain a little oil off without having it dump the whole lot on the floor, particularly if it's up to temperature.

If you don't know how to loosen the sump plug, you should take the car back to the place that over-filled it and insist they do it...

If your oil is "well over max" I don't think driving the car at all is a good idea... :(

This excess oil will increase your engine oil pressure & you risk either blowing an oil seal or a gasket - not usually cheap to replace...........

I'm sure it'll be fine to pootle back to the garage.. After all, maximum oil pressure is at maximum revs, so if you keep it below about 2k rpm it'll be pushing no greater oil pressure than when it's "normally" filled at higher revs.

All IMHO, of course...

or get a piece of tube about the size of windscreen washer pipe,take out your dipstick & syphon a tad out(if you fill the tube with oil,put one end in the d/stick hole then the other end a lower level than your oil in the sump it should flow without sukin :D )

How far over max is it - using the knurled area of the dipstick as a guide (1 litre from min to max)? If it's 1/4 litre over, don't worry about it. If it's half to 1 litre over, drain some out of the sump. 19mm socket.

Jimbo16v, why not just take it back to the muppet who changed it and get him to change it again and this time put in the right amount!

Overfilling it could damage the CAT and put extra pressure on the headgasket.

Hmm, we appear to have looped back to the beginning of this thread...

It's a 1.8 16v, it's not got a CAT! :-P

Jimbo16v, why not just take it back to the muppet who changed it and get him to change it again and this time put in the right amount!

Because depending on how full it is - it may not be a good idea to drive the car anywhere... :roll:

Funny how we're all arguing about the best course of action here and the original poster is nowhere to be seen. :roll:

Perhaps he's realised he took the reading on a slope and is too sheepish to admit it...? ;)