Sign in to follow this  
MFP

Cross drilled brake discs

If you do want to get drilled disks, you want proper sinusoidal-curved holes, so the edges of the hole are completely smooth. That reduces the stress on the edges of the holes and thus the likelihood of the disks cracking.

The best way to improve brakes is to increase the mechanical advantage of the brakes. Easiest way would be to get a big disk kit, this way you get more mechanical leverage, and better cooling (more surface area). Pads and discs of the same size only have a very limited effect, despite what the ads say. I had EBC discs and pads and the discs warped and the pads melted. Complete plop. Unless you wanted to go for a balls out Brembo set up or similar you could source some potentially bigger VAG brakes from another car and possibly make them fit? Thats the beauty of parts commonality between VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat!

The best way to improve brakes is to increase the mechanical advantage of the brakes.!

Yes indeed that man :wink:

A 312 setup off a Golf 4Motion is a cost effective braking mod for VRs and pretty effective by all accounts.

A 312 setup off a Golf 4Motion is a cost effective braking mod for VRs and pretty effective by all accounts.

Well if you try out the 288s and decide to go for a 312 setup at a later date (say August next year) then I'll alleviate you of the 288s :)

The question is why do you want better brakes :shock:

If your thrashing it so hard on the road that the pedal is going long, something either isn't right or you should be locked up (in prison :p ) If you're getting a long pedal on the track and the brakes are fading, then yes you want bigger brakes. If you dont like the feel of the brakes then they either need bleeding again or its the effect of the servo removing the feel. Bigger brakes may help a little but the biggest imprvement in feel will come from the increased (or decreased) piston area in the calipers and pad choice. Braided hoses should also help with feel of the brakes.

However, if you want to look cool then bigger brakes are exactly what you need :evil: :twisted: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well if you try out the 288s and decide to go for a 312 setup at a later date (say August next year) then I'll alleviate you of the 288s

:lol: - He should have a new set of speedlines and tyres by then also :wink:

The question is why do you want better brakes :shock:

cos they look pretttty :)

lol a good guideline I heard was if you can engage ABS then you dont need bigger brakes.

Why do you want bigger brakes? A) because they stop the car and B) the standard VR6 ones are sh1t. They have appalling intitial bite and are spongey and long in the pedal unless treated to a Goodridge line kit.

The C VR is an 150mph car. Look at the size of the brakes 150mph cars get these days and then look at the Corrado's!

And as Pablo says, bigger ones are sexy :lol:

Agreed, you need to be able to brake as hard as other cars on the road and most new cars come with 280mm or equivelent as standard.

Also I think anyone increasing performance by any significant amount should be doing the brakes first if not soon after!

lol a good guideline I heard was if you can engage ABS then you dont need bigger brakes.

At this point, I'd like to draw people's attention to my sig ;)

After my recent accident, the first thought that went through my brain as we came to a halt was "thank f£$# I put the Brembos on this car..." If I'd have been running on the standard G60 brakes, we'd have hit the car that pulled out in front of me head on at around 30mph instead of managing to squeeze down the side of the car at less than 20mph!

It's not just about initial bite, it's also about the continued effectiveness during heavy braking. Sure, tyre footprint is ALWAYS going to be a limiting factor, but if you get a GOOD set of brakes, then they shouldn't lock while providing better braking forces...

Oh, and one of the next thoughts after seeing the skidmarks was "feck, wish I'd have fixed the ABS..." :roll: :oops: (I locked up the rears, NOT the fronts! :| )

After my recent accident, the first thought that went through my brain as we came to a halt was "thank f£$# I put the Brembos on this car..." If I'd have been running on the standard G60 brakes, we'd have hit the car that pulled out in front of me head on at around 30mph instead of managing to squeeze down the side of the car at less than 20mph!

It's not just about initial bite, it's also about the continued effectiveness during heavy braking. Sure, tyre footprint is ALWAYS going to be a limiting factor, but if you get a GOOD set of brakes, then they shouldn't lock while providing better braking forces...

Oh, and one of the next thoughts after seeing the skidmarks was "feck, wish I'd have fixed the ABS..." :roll: :oops: (I locked up the rears, NOT the fronts! :| )

Good job on only locking the rears, but I know a very good DVD that will teach you how to brake even quicker. It'll make a huge amount of difference to your stopping distance as well as your overall car handling (it's aimed at track use, not road use, but it'll still teach you to handle a car better).

It's also only £12.99 which is considerably less than any brake upgrade I've heard of :D

Oh and my Corrado is in it ;)

[/plug]

Can't understand why people are slagging off the standard VR brakes, I've got VW discs and M1144 pads and it's an awesome combo. Have done a couple of track days with them now, they have great bite and only once did I get them to fade at all. My only gripe is there is too much peddle movement, apart from that I can't see how you can need more than the standard set up on the road.....except for looks of course :lol:

I can't see how you can need more than the standard set up on the road.....except for looks of course Laughing

Exactly, braking is always limited by the tyres, unless your on a track and you've cooked the brakes into submission.

Can't understand why people are slagging off the standard VR brakes, I've got VW discs and M1144 pads and it's an awesome combo. Have done a couple of track days with them now, they have great bite and only once did I get them to fade at all. My only gripe is there is too much peddle movement, apart from that I can't see how you can need more than the standard set up on the road.....except for looks of course :lol:

If you're happy with them, that's great but I don't personally feel they are quite good enough. Maybe my master cylinder is worn but most VRs I've driven feel the same. Jump in a G60 and you nearly go through the screen with the same pressure and it's that initial stronger bite that inspires more confidence.

The VR's brakes are good at scrubbing higher speeds off though. They just feel great around town.

with ya all the way there Kev... And then with the Brembo conversion, the initial bite is the same difference again as that between the VR6 and the G60's! 8)

Anyone who's been out and had a high speed braking test in a Corrado equipped with a set of the Seat Brembos will testify that the brakes are awesome and make the original ones look utterly pants! They are utterly progressive and predictable with a fantastic initial bite and more than enough surface area to prevent overheating and brake fade when used with a decent brake fluid... 8)

Oh and Henny, my comment about locking the rears wasn't supposed to be sarcastic, I did mean it - you must have been braking damned hard and without any clutch down action.

I just read it again and it comes across as me being a smug git, which wasn't the idea.

dinkus, I know mate... I didn't take it that way... 8)

The engine braking effect with my G60 engine helps sooooo much... I'd gotten used to it so much on the tracks and strip days this year that it just was second nature not to hit the clutch and to let the engine take on a chunk of the braking! 8)

Having looked at the tyres, there's no flat spots on the fronts, but there is slightly on the rears! And, YES, the brake compensator valve HAD been re-set properly! :lol: :roll:

p.s. Dinkus? You've spelt Argument wrong in your sig... ;)

And then with the Brembo conversion, the initial bite is the same difference again as that between the VR6 and the G60's! 8)

Anyone who's been out and had a high speed braking test in a Corrado equipped with a set of the Seat Brembos will testify that the brakes are awesome and make the original ones look utterly pants!

I'd love to Brembo mine but the 5 stud Leon calipers are huge and they won't fit behind the RHs :cry: I didn't realise the Leon Brembos were bigger than the Ibiza ones, but apparently they are..... I could have probably gotten away with Ibiza ones.

For now, the 288 setup will offer a much bigger wipe surface and also better heat sinking properties thanks to the 25mm thickness discs. And then I can upgrade to 312 discs as and when by using 4Motion carriers.

Yeah, that 288 conversion should be bloody good on your motor Kev... The brembo conversion is excellent for the 4 stud cars, but utterly useless for the VRs due to the extra cost and size... :(

It'd be interesting to know if anyone's done/tired the NEW ibiza conversion on a VR yet though, as these are the same size as the older Brembo brakes, but are 5 stud so should fit a VR allowing for 305mm disks and 4 pot callipers... 8)

dinkus, I know mate... I didn't take it that way... 8)

The engine braking effect with my G60 engine helps sooooo much... I'd gotten used to it so much on the tracks and strip days this year that it just was second nature not to hit the clutch and to let the engine take on a chunk of the braking! 8)

Having looked at the tyres, there's no flat spots on the fronts, but there is slightly on the rears! And, YES, the brake compensator valve HAD been re-set properly! :lol: :roll:

p.s. Dinkus? You've spelt Argument wrong in your sig... ;)

Ahh good good. The brakes are designed to stop the engine as well as the car, so is set up to have more braking power on the front than the rear. So if you put the clutch down, the first thing that happens is the fronts lock (a la my sig). If you keep the clutch in, the engine knocks the front wheels on and stops them from locking, which is bizarrely a much quicker way of stopping as the tyres are working properly rather than just sliding over the road.

If only I'd had some skid pan practice.. :roll:

And yeah, it's the pirate spelling :) I'll correct it now...

If you're happy with them, that's great but I don't personally feel they are quite good enough. Maybe my master cylinder is worn but most VRs I've driven feel the same. Jump in a G60 and you nearly go through the screen with the same pressure and it's that initial stronger bite that inspires more confidence.

The VR's brakes are good at scrubbing higher speeds off though. They just feel great around town.

Hmm so your upgrading your brakes so they feel better around town? :? (I'm assuming you missed a don't from the end of your post?)

Why are G60 brakes better than VR ones?

And does anyway actually push the clutch in when they brake!!? (refering to above post) One of the first things my driving instructor taught me was to use the engine braking to your advantage :roll:

As I said yes I am happy with mine bar the pedal movement, and yes, each to their own, but I really do feel it's primarily a cosmetic/'ooo look at my cool big brakes' conversion ;)

Do you do lots of trackdays Kevhaywire? I can see it might be worth it if you do....