Sign in to follow this  
SteveM16v

Radio aerial

From VW?

Really? Wow.

They must be forgetting their screw-the-corrado-owner money making rules. I thought there were only two part numbers for bits on the Corrado:

1h0 297 295 - Corrado, left half

1h0 297 296 - Corrado, right half

halfrauds do one for about a tenner. looks more sleek than the Standard one as it doesn't have the coil wrapped around it.

open the boot and unclip the two bits of black trim holding up the headlining, then carefully pull down the lining enough to get a socket / spanner on the nut and hey presto. it can be a 3 handed job putting it back together as the aerial wants to fall over and the lining wants to spring back up while you are doing the nut up. HTH

These bits of trim (guess they'll be grey in my case with me having a grey interior) - do you just pull them to unclip? Or is there any special way I should be unclipping them?

Yep, just pull the trim down gently - should be held by about 5 clips IIRC.

I've found it's best to start in the center.

You may need to unclip part of the left or right pillar trim for you to make it easy to remove the plastic

this is my job for the weekend (aswell as making a chair)

any chance you guys pick up five (a) live after soldering your wire to the button???

ben

Another question about this before I also attempt to have a go at the weekend...it was mentioned about warming up the cone before trying to remove it from the metal base (to help avoid splitting it etc), are the two parts just clipped together or actually stuck? And upon putting it all back, should I expect them to just click back together?

I got a new aerial from the $tealers yesterday £71.44 inc vat. Got it for £62.15 with 13% club discount. Part number 871 035 503. Simple job to do, took about 20 mins.........(Sit in one of the back seats to do all this job) just take the thick black/grey trim off at the back of the headlining, 10 clips in rows of 2. I found it best to start at the ends and take the middle ones out last, then pop the headlining out of the two slots. TIP- don't use a screwdriver or such like instrument as it marks very easy- flip it out with a wallpaper scraper !. The lining bows down to get at the 17mm nut easy enough. Pull apart the power amp clip (thin one) and unscrew the aerial wire (thick one) which are both only 4 inches away from the base, then fit new aerial (you will need someone to hold the new one in place on the roof while you tighten the nut) which is a 22mm nut on the new aerial !. clip headlining back in the two slots, pop trim back on and the jobs sorted. WOW Brilliant reception, i can pick up fm stations my 206 and yaris can't !!. Spot on AM/LW too (Spot on Radio Five for the footie at last ! ) Worth the money to me........ Hope this helps.

Cheers Chris.

Kerrinmay, it just sits inside IIRC but after 13 years is likely to be grunged up. the soak just loosens it up, and yes they just go back together without any troubs.

Thanks ZippyVR6, I'll see if I can pluck up some courage at the weekend to have a go! It's bugged me since I bought my C just over a year ago, but finally I've decided it has to be sorted as I missed a load of traffic reports the other week when Portsmouth ground to a halt due to the closure of one of the only three roads off the island and so was stuck in traffic most of the morning. If I'd had my radio working ok then I'd have heard the traffic reports earlier and wouldn't have had such a problem!

well, i just finished mine... by head torch!!

had a few funny looks by the neighbours!!

havent tested it yet (except stationary) and it still works... good (havent used a soldering iron for bout 12 years :lol: )

just a note my ariel had 2 screws holding the metal base to the plastic

will let you know if its better tomorrow

ben

I did actually finally fit my aerial before Christmas. I went for a brand new one rather than trying to bypass the amp, and it works lovely!

Was dead handy this morning to be able to listen to travel bulletins!

Saw this just before I left work today so thought I'd give it a go...

Wow!!

Can now listen to the radio all around the backroads without it cutting out once!!! Hasn't been like that since I got the car, just put it down to Corrado's being crap at radio!!

Unplugged the aeriel and it didn't make any difference to the reception at all!! Proves it wasn't working...

As someone said earlier, the solder wouldn't stick to the pin at the top of the base, so dripped solder down onto it to create the shape of the pin, then soldered the wire onto that, then dribbled loads of glue from a glue gun onto that which has held it on.

Job took not longer than 15 minutes (but I do have my headlining loose at the back due to sunroof problems...)

hits the top of my 'best mod' list!!!

:D :D 8)