Sign in to follow this  
godskitchen

Corrado at high speed in wind????

OK i have been meaning to write this for a while, but i thought i was imagining it! Until last night. I drove from Northampton to Birmingham on the M1 & M6................. now is it just me or when a little wind hits the corrado it goes all over the place!!!! I really had to hold on for dear life in some places! I have driven the same route in same conditions many times in different cars even a high sided VAN!!!!

why does the corrado feel like its about to spin off at any moment?

Apart from a little side stepping in big gusts, I'd say the C (well mine at least) seems pretty well behaved in wind..... certainly miles better than the hearse shaped BM3 325i tourer I used to have!!

check your tyre pressures, then get your rear axle bushes checked out to make sure they're not dead, and if they're OK, get your tracking checked... This is a classic sign of one of these not being right... :|

When i bought my car in London I had to follow my G/F in her Saxo up the M1, follow cos she didnt want me to speed off and leave her :?

It was a really windy day and her car was all over the place but my C was fine and didnt feel a thing :D

Cheers henny, i will do! more expence no dought! but all in a good cause!

not as much expense as finding out that your tyre pressures are wrong, or that your tracking is out when exiting a corner and finding yourself facing the way you just came from... :| :wink:

Cheers henny, i will do! more expence no dought! but all in a good cause!

not as much expense as finding out that your tyre pressures are wrong, or that your tracking is out when exiting a corner and finding yourself facing the way you just came from... :| :wink:

oi oi smarty pants! :D

Just thought.................... maybe its because i drive a STORM!???

:2gunfire: godskitchen

Thought i would shoot myself before anyone else does!

Was the first thing I noticed about the C when I bought it and drove it home, was how stable it was at high speeds. The slightest wind and my previous car (BMW 318is coupe) was all over the place, but not had any problems with the Corrado.

Gotta say that every C I've owned has been incredibly steady and solid in windy conditions- so much so that you barely notice it at all.

never had any probs with myn...

I dont think any wind can get under yours bally its that low! :D

Right well it looks like i need to get the car looked at!

Thanks people!

Ah...quite possibly one of the reasons then! I would also think that any tracking and rear axle bush issues would also make themselves apparent when not in windy conditions too?

It may be because a C has a better driver involvement than some other cars and you just "feel" what is happening to the car, instead of being numb like other cars leave you. The only thing I have noticed is that there is a man hole cover on a road near me, it's almost impossible to avoid, if it's wet it makes the car skip half way across the road! :lol:

The only thing I have noticed is that there is a man hole cover on a road near me, it's almost impossible to avoid, if it's wet it makes the car skip half way across the road! :lol:

Yeah they are a pain.... I hate that feeling when the rear axle sends the shock of a bump across to other wheel and the car kind of rocks sideways! And yeah, wet metal and tyres are not a good mix..... if a motorcyclist hits one mid bend.....ouch!

Sounds like axle bushes/wheel bearings/etc to me. Not normal for a C to feel twitchy in the wind, unless you're driving across an open bridge and there's a force 10 blowing...

why does the corrado feel like its about to spin off at any moment?

mines like that too, have been meaning to post this topic myself!

Had the tracking etc laser aligned recently, so it can't be that, and did my trye pressures last week.....I'm guessing I should check my rear bushes then :oops:

never had any probs with myn...

I dont think any wind can get under yours bally its that low! :D

:lol:

I had this too but i was doin about 130 (on clock) at the time. The front end went very light and was wandering from side to side a little.

i think this was an extreme circumstance tho as it was very windy an i was goin pretty quick. It usually feels very stable.

hutchy.

Definately have the rear bushes looked at. Although they are a pain to change (the reason that they may have previously been "overlooked" by prior owners) they play an enormous part in how the car feels at speed. I had mine changed on my 112,000 mile car and it feels completely different. The back used to be all over the place and was a bit white knuckle-style on the motorway. Steady as a rock now. 8)