Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

most posts

Nope, currently that's three racks.. :) But that's old tech. We'd get 128 CPUs in a single rack with the new kit. Yes, 64 CPU in a deskside.. ;)

Jeepers! Talk computing about horse power!

I work for the University of Warwick by the way, not Cov Uni ;)

I'm pretty sure a department in the university are aiming to purchase some kind of SGI vizualisation cluster in the not too distant future though...

48 cpus? We have a machine in the lab bigger than that... :roll: ;)

56 400 MHZ IP35 Processors

Main memory size: 26624 Mbytes

:)

And *that's* just a baby cos they won't buy us machines that are representative of customer installs... :(

:sleeping:

Nope, currently that's three racks.. But that's old tech. We'd get 128 CPUs in a single rack with the new kit. Yes, 64 CPU in a deskside..

Thats a bit overkill for just surfing this forum Mat! - My 'old' Pentium 4 seems to cope just fine, even with your posts.... :wink:

Ah, you're at Warwick, but you live in Coventry. Wrong way round, man! ;)

Hey, if there's anything I can sell them, let me know, I'll split the (miniscule) commission! :)

Actually Warwick University is in Coventry.. go figure.

So come on dr_mat - gimmie the output of 'hinv' off that machine.. I wanna marvel at the spec! :)

Thats a bit overkill for just surfing this forum Mat! - My 'old' Pentium 4 seems to cope just fine, even with your posts.... :wink:

Hehe, I surf the forum on a pentium 3. The big box is just for playing with. It runs a good game of Quake in the reality centre though.. :)

Apparently Kev is bored. Sorry Kevbot, but jealousy doesn't become you. ;)

Actually Warwick University is in Coventry.. go figure.

So come on dr_mat - gimmie the output of 'hinv' off that machine.. I wanna marvel at the spec! :)

The one in that press release doesn't get built till early '07, so can't do that I'm afraid. We do have other big machines tho. I can't login to Nasa, unfortunately, otherwise I could show you the hinv from a 1024-CPU node in a 10,240 CPU machine... :)

I can get the following though:

> hinv

512 400 MHZ IP35 Processors

Main memory size: 524288 Mbytes

Total storage is something over 7TB on here, too.

(Geeky I know, but I can get root on here, too.. :) )

I hate computers.... let's talk about something more interesting instead, like Ice cream :D

Good job you don't have to work with them for a living then!

Oh, wait!! ;)

Anyway, bet we ship bigger ice creams than your company too.. ;) :)

Kev DOES work with computers though? Or at least I thought he did... you do IT consultancy don't you Kev?

Ahh... because your sig is stripped after each post from the first one onwards, i'd totally forgotten about your sarcasm and irony disclaimer. My apologies ;)

Kev DOES work with computers though? Or at least I thought he did... you do IT consultancy don't you Kev?

Aye...100s of Citrix Terminal servers....oh the joys.... Still, I get to run 2000, XP and 2003 Server from the same box I suppose. 2003 Server Standard sucks....it's dog slow. I wonder if any of the other 6 flavours of 2003 are any better?

Aye...100s of Citrix Terminal servers....oh the joys.... Still, I get to run 2000, XP and 2003 Server from the same box I suppose. 2003 Server Standard sucks....it's dog slow. I wonder if any of the other 6 flavours of 2003 are any better?

2003 sucks.. BIG TIME.

Doing a migration from NOVELL / 2k to 2003 server and its a major pain in the butt...

Ah Novel Novell. I miss it. Netware 6 was sublime and what Active Directory was based on.... It's all good until some berky administrator puts all the printers in multiple containers up and down the tree, slowing the network down :roll: Anyway, I've just remembered I said I hate computers, so had better shut up, LOL!