Sign in to follow this  
The Hub

Removing locking nuts without the Key???

Has anyone any suggestions on how to do this as I have a puncture and just realised I dont have the key and neither does the previous owner?

I have bought new ones so it doesn't matter if I wreck these ones trying to get them off!!

The nuts that are on it have 3 indentations on the face of the nut.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah the easiest way is to cut off the spinning collar that surrounds the bolt with a chisel or sturdy screwdriver, then hammer on a 1/2 " drive socket that just sits on top of the bolt head, this should give you enough purchase to loosen the bolt with a cracking bar or extendable wrench.........job done......its never failed for me anyway and after many sad years in the tyre fitting trade I should know :cry: (the locking bolts you have will be trilocks, which were notorious for the pins that sit in the holes to bend out of the key anyway which is the reason why this was quite a common job)

This has happened to me before, I used a slightly smaller socket and tapped it over the lock nut (Carefully!) :wink: and then undid it. It helps to use a long extension bar when removing too

HTH

Eug

or.........if they are mounted onto alloys, hit the offending bolt hard with a hammer and drift, it will soften the alloy holding the bolt and it should just unscrew!

Have seen it done, brutal but effective! If it don't work 1st time......You need a bigger hammer :)

(the locking bolts you have will be trilocks, which were notorious for the pins that sit in the holes to bend out of the key anyway which is the reason why this was quite a common job)

Yeah i had a problem with these type of bolts before, but manage to keep getting a replacment key till i eventually got them loosened :roll:

there is no spinning collar on these bolts but what I am taking from the advice given, is that I should find a socket head that is slightly smaller than the bolt head, and force it over the bolt till I have enough grip to turn it.

The bolt head is sunk in to the alloy so there is no way of getting near it with a hammer or anything else for the " if all else fails, whack it" approach :lol:

best ive done is use one of those gaitor grip sockest the ones that fit any size bolts with loadsa little pins inside, this is the only really use for these dont use it for anything else they are appalling!

What are the best and most secure locking bolts out there people? Preferably ones that can't be removed by hammering a socket over them!!

Need something better than the norm to reduce the risk of tea-leaves walking off with my rims!

What are the best and most secure locking bolts out there people? Preferably ones that can't be removed by hammering a socket over them!!

I think the ones Halfords sell are thatcham approved or something...

I think the ones Halfords sell are thatcham approved or something...

McGuard are the thatcham app. ones, a squiggly key type shape , if you know what i mean,

stripped the key part out of the key once before, had to weld it onto a wheel nut to get `em off!!! :mad:

Hey Hub i just realised its you who started this post.

In Ballymena theres a place called Motor Sport & Spares (think thats their name!)

48-50, Henry St, Ballymena, County Antrim BT42 3AH Tel: 028 2564 8935

I had this exact problem on a car I had, the garage who sold it to me forgot to put the key bolt back in when they changed the tyres and then lost it. I did exactly what was suggested above hammered on a slightly smaller socket and then they came off ok. I did have one that i had to go down to a smaller socket again to get off. If they are cheap ones then they are porbably quite soft and you may to have a couple of goes at it getting smaller each time as it may just round off. When hammereing the socket on hit it good and hard make sure it is fully on otherwise it could just spin off and if you do that a couple times you could end up getting the drill out.

:cry:

Hey Hub i just realised its you who started this post.

In Ballymena theres a place called Motor Sport & Spares (think thats their name!)

48-50, Henry St, Ballymena, County Antrim BT42 3AH Tel: 028 2564 8935

Cheers mate, I know it well and was thinking of going to Ballymena tomorrow for some last minuite Chrimbo shopping to beat the crowds in Belfast.

I'll give them a try, and if you see a red Corrado about make sure you flash your lights.