Sign in to follow this  
g60Dazzaman

Dubsport have created an almost 500hp 4x4 Rado VR!!!!!

Hybrid Garrett GTS turbocharger (speced with t3 and t3 parts for no lag!)

So is it a T3 hybrid or a GTseries?

If its a T3 hybrid they didn't get 400+ brake (well they didn't cos they used nos :roll: ) - you need at minimum of t4, otherwise its a GT series and if you're buying one of them then your a muppet if you get the wrong one for the engine spec cos the prices dont vary that much.

but all the 500 bhp cossies I've known about haven't lasted 5 minutes.

Theres plenty of 500bhp cossies running around doing sensible mileage (60k plus) and quite a few running 600bhp without too many problems. With the Vr's habit for munching bores / rings and its rather weak dimensions I doubt a blown vr putting out 160 per L is going to last very long either. A cossie will put out 320-400bhp all day long with no reliability issues at all, (170bhp per litre).

You talk about the head being restrictive, which is true but on forced induction the difference a good head makes is much reduced, not to mention the NOS.

I'm not saying its a bad engine, all I'm saying is that its not particularly impressive feat considering the size (i'm not a fan of V8's either).... Stick a blown 4 pot of the right dimensions and you get a much more reliable engine for less weight....

The Vr does what its designed to do well, but it'd be my last choice for forced induction following closely after the K series.

Quote: › Select ›‹ Expand

Anyway I prefer fords

And vauxhalls

Have you not wondered why you spend so much time on here then...?

Face it mate - your a secret Corrado Lover!

Now you've come to terms with that, Buy one - there is a good source of spare parts around your area too!

I'm really sad and very bored, plus your such nice guys :oops:

Yup, they are very nice. Bit slow but nice :)

Buy one - there is a good source of spare parts around your area too!

I would, except i don't think many people would appreciate a ford powered one :shock: and those spare parts are my profit to finish the dax :mrgreen:

Anyway I prefer fords

And vauxhalls

Excuse him, he has no taste. Yes the Costworth engine is very clever, but as they say there's no replacement for displacement and I'd much rather have a bloomin' great big V8 thankyouverymuch.

Now you've come to terms with that, Buy one - there is a good source of spare parts around your area too!

:lol: and :p

;)

Yes the Costworth engine is very clever, but as they say there's no replacement for displacement

There certainly isn't and thats why the cossie displaces a lot more than 2litres in reality. Its called boost.

For example a rover V8 produces approximately 135-140 BMEP (psi) while a 300ft/lb cossie produces over 370. Hell even a standard cossie produces nearly 250.

A Vr ~ 200ft/lb only produces 170ish BMEP, which is considered OK.

Anyway, the cosworth engine is old, the bottom end is dimensionaly identical to an engine designed in the 60's. They got it right then though :mrgreen:

Thats all okay Scruff..... but the noise from a V engine is bbbrrrrrrrrr gorgeous! no cossie can produce that unless your talking about the 2.9 they fitted in the scorpio! and lets face it who wants one of those!

:D

Also i wouldn't admit in public that i liked Fords! There is a certain panache and style involved in a Veedub, Its very cool to be on the Dub Scene! you cant say that about a cossie! - Its very stereotypical Essex Boy! you know white socks and burberry! :mrgreen:

Brake Mean Effective Pressure...

The definition of BMEP is: the average (mean) pressure which, if imposed on the pistons evenly during each power stroke, would produce the measured (brake) power output.

BMEP .. is simply a multiple of the torque per cubic inch of displacement.

Hardly fair to compare NA and FI BMEPs, IMHO!

Hardly fair to compare NA and FI BMEPs, IMHO!

Ok, fair enough. However Vr v RV8 - thats a fair comparison and the rover is still rubbish and the Vr is merely adequate compared to other NA engines....

True enough. But who cares? Not many other 2.9 litre Vs get fitted to road-going hatchbacks are there? It makes up for the low BMEP with lots of extra ccs over the competition. :D

(Vauxhall 2.5 V6? 175 bhp ish, istr - i.e. higher specific torque, but lower overall output. And then planted in a bloody Vauxhall chassis, so it's completely unable to put any torque on the ground... ;) )

Not many other 2.9 litre Vs get fitted to road-going hatchbacks are there? It makes up for the low BMEP with lots of extra ccs over the competition. Very Happy

Thats why the VR is so loved, but its not without its faults - all that extra weight slung out over the front wheels, like a porsche in reverse :D

(Vauxhall 2.5 V6? 175 bhp ish, istr - i.e. higher specific torque, but lower overall output. And then planted in a bloody Vauxhall chassis, so it's completely unable to put any torque on the ground... Wink )

I'm just not a fan of big lazy V engines.....

.... although its a vauxhall so it must be brilliant :shock: The essex and cologne fords are pants too.

The gsi3000 24v motor is nice if you want a big NA engine, guess I never was a fan of V engines :)

Sure the VR is no power house but it was an excecise compact packaging, which was very innovative in the 90s. The R32 lump is more in keeping with current outputs though, especially in Audi tune at 250bhp.

so 300BHP out of a normally aspirated 3.2 V6 with just a set of cams and a remap isn't impressive?

The R32 lump is still a VR6 remember...

so 300BHP out of a normally aspirated 3.2 V6 with just a set of cams and a remap isn't impressive?

The R32 lump is still a VR6 remember...

Exactly!

The VR may be considered 'adequate' in some eyes but it's still enough for 150mph and sub 7 second 0-60....figures even today which are still not significantly bettered by similar cars with more power.

Glad to see the weight over the front wheels myth is still alive and kicking too. The VR has the same 65/35 weight distribution as the Honda Integra R. Both heralded as two of finest FWD handlers ever made. People that mention the weight thing either haven't driven a VR6 or don't know how to drive one properly. The 911 pendulum rump thing was consigned to the history books years ago too. It just simply isn't an issue any more and weight over the driven wheels is a good thing in my book.

Again, folk that use that to run down a 911 haven't driven one :wink:

Ok, fair enough. However Vr v RV8 - thats a fair comparison and the rover is still rubbish and the Vr is merely adequate compared to other NA engines....

How can you compare an engine that went into production in 1961, the Buick 215cc engine (prototyped ironically as a 2.9 180ci in the 50's) with one designed in the late 1980's that went into production in 1991? Thats 30 years?

Difference in output per litre?

Had the 15 degree angle been done before?

Was it designed to power fwd's?

......etc......etc.

I cant even agree with the RV8 is rubbish, to much of a sweeping generalisation, it has its place.

Rant over. :twisted: :-P

Had the 15 degree angle been done before?

Lancia did it first, but was only a 4 cylinder job and nothing like as good or reliable as VW's attempt.