Sign in to follow this  
trackman

Corrado for the track

Once I've sold my S3, I'm wanting to buy a Corrado for trackdays etc.

I'm going to have about £3.5k to spend with any luck, but I can't decide how to spend it.

If I get a VR or a G60, I'll be looking at a reasonably high miler for the £3k mark, and I don't fancy the idea of a 120k+ car flying round a track with the needle permanently buried in the red. As the low milers get rarer, the prices aren't dropping.

So this got me thinking. How about a cheap Corrado (maybe blown engine) and sticking a low mile 20VT engine in. I'm pretty handy so could do it myself, but I'm not sure I can get it in under my initial budget. I don't want it sat around for six months while I raise more cash.

Thoughts appreciated.

There's a 16v that's been converted to a VR6 for sale on the Forum.

Might be perfect for a track car. Think he's looking around £2.5k, so you'd have some cash left over for a little engine work.

Yeah, spotted that one. If it's still around in a few weeks when the S3 has gone, it might be worth a look.

Do you think I'm kidding myself with the 20VT ploy?

I think you could do it if you are not fussy what the base car looks like. You need a real cheap Corrado though. You can sell the trim and engine to get some money back. 13-1500 for the motor and bits doesn't leave much for suspension and brakes.

Gavin

whatever you do, buy a close ratio gearbox with a decent diff in it, otherwise every penny you spend on the engine will be a waste.

vr's aren't cheap to tune, but they can take all the abuse you'll throw at them. Remember Daz Ashby's yellow vr6? that got the sh1t ragged out of it for years and used to kick ar5e on track and it was practically standard, just stripped out. now owned by coxylaad on here.

I was under the impression that people thought the Corrado was a bit heavy to be purely a track car. More of an all-rounder. You're lugging an extra few hundred kilos compared to a mk2 golf for example...

Cheap track car though: perhaps a 205 1.9 GTi? Should be able to pick one of those up, probably with Mi16 conversion too - there's a few of those about.

whatever you do, buy a close ratio gearbox with a decent diff in it, otherwise every penny you spend on the engine will be a waste.
The only problem with that idea (and I DO agree) is that the HUGEST part of a three-grand budget has gone on the box and diff - forgetting the brakes, sus, tyres, engine... and base car :shock:

Bennn in a monster 205 MI16. Throttle bodies, over 200 hp. LSD and stuff. The lad was :cuckoo: :crazyeyes: made me :pale: .

He kicked ar5e at Elvington, Elises, Porsche the lot. Very tempted to make my own after that......A good recommendation from a dub fool like me.

Gavin

A m8 of mine suggested a 205, but I haven't really given it much thought. Fear of the unknown I guess. I've always had VWs and Audis (and one 993), so I was sticking to what I know.

Back on the Corrado, whilst it's a bit lardy from a track perspective at around 1200kgs (maybe down to 1100kgs stripped out), I just love the handling and looks of them.

VR6 is an option I guess, but as PhatVR6 says, they're not cheap to tune, whereas the 20VT is getting lots of attention cos of it's wide audience.

I'm quite keen on the 20VT idea. Providing I can get the car running in a reasonable state, I can trickle feed other upgrades (susp, brakes, turbo etc) as and when I can afford them.

Still a bit undecided. I notice nobody's mentioned the G60 yet.

The potential for disaster is high. Having said that I used my GTI G60 Golf to good effect on trackdays.

You could prolly get a cheap G60 Golf. Charger costs need to be considered though. Could do a 65mm pulley if you are only going to use it at the track.

GAvin

thats casue you asked about a 20vt.....

:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, you've lost me. What's cause I asked about a 20vt??

It's probably me, being new and all that....

read what i said again.

money on the engine is wasted if you can't put the power down.

don't think a car with 300bhp and stock drivetrain will be good on track, it won't.

thats casue you asked about a 20vt.....

:lol::lol::lol:

Doh! dubster82 was referring to my comment about nobody mentioning the G60. I'm learning!!

Thanks PhatVR6. In the cold light of day, the 20VT option's not looking too great against the VR.

I think I'm going to try and go for a lowish mile VR then spend what I can on cogs, diff, brakes, suspension and other handling mods, before tweaking the motor. With the VR, I'll already be a few Gs in pocket over the 20VT, and that'll help with the cost of the diff and suspension.

Any advice on the gearbox side of things?

I have been in phats corrado when it was a vr, and incidentally also when it was running on 5 cylinders, and with his gearbox with a light flywheel the engine is totally transformed. It stops being a super cruiser and becomes a proper lively racer.

God only knows what it would have been been like on all 6 cylinders lol

just getting on this a bit late, i would suggest buying a very cheap 16v, then sell the interior, ebay.de for suspension, g60 brakes, and a 20vt! If you get the right car you will ahve 2k for the engine conversion, so you WILL go over budget as a quaife limo is about 600 pounds onits own!

Maybe consider an insurance write off car, as its not for road use is it? and if your going ball out track monster look for a sunroof less shell and throw in perspex side and back windows :lol:

That should get you a nice serious weight reduction!

if u want a proper track car....i beleive u can pick up polo g40 cup cars for around that budget, I think i saw one at about £4k in the later part of lst year.... they already have full roll cages in.

The g40 is a much safer track car than the g60, from the charger perspective......g40's can handle sustained high revs for longer cos they are smaller.

dubster82, comment is related to

"Still a bit undecided. I notice nobody's mentioned the G60 yet."

if u want a proper track car....i beleive u can pick up polo g40 cup cars for around that budget, I think i saw one at about £4k in the later part of lst year.... they already have full roll cages in.

The g40 is a much safer track car than the g60, from the charger perspective......g40's can handle sustained high revs for longer cos they are smaller.

I was thinking very similar there. I'd just buy a rust free 1.0 & do the g40 conversion. Bevis at pitstop had a cup engine & box (box needed a rebuild, but the charger had just been s4'ed) the other month for just over £1000, inc everything for the conversion . Surely for the budget you would get a better track car this way??

Ongoing budget shouldn't be a problem. It's just the initial layout that's restricted to £3.5k.

I want to make sure that whatever I start with is a solid base for advancement, with plenty of headroom for extra grinnage.

I've only been on one track day (in an R1 powered MK Indy :lol: ), so I'm sure that a G40 is more than adequate for my talents, but I'm a firm believer in using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

I think the VR is still at the top of my list.

You're going to need at least 200bhp/ton to make it even emntertaining let alone competetive. so due to the weight of the corrado and yout budget that rules out just about any 16v, unless you're lucky enough to find a full ITB setup for pennies..

I thoroughly reccomend what I've done with my gearbox. 3.94 final drive and peloquin diff. worth every single penny.

You're going to need at least 200bhp/ton to make it even emntertaining let alone competetive. so due to the weight of the corrado and yout budget that rules out just about any 16v, unless you're lucky enough to find a full ITB setup for pennies..

I thoroughly reccomend what I've done with my gearbox. 3.94 final drive and peloquin diff. worth every single penny.

Cheers.

I've already been pricing up Quaife/Peloquin Diffs and there's a Fidanza flywheel on the forum somewhere too. Just need to get this S3 sold.

Looks like I might be using your signature as a wish list!!